Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Peek-A-Boo (i see you) part 9

"White demon, widen your heart scope, white demon, who let you friends go?" my radio sang as I abruptly sat up in my bed, banging my head on the headboard. I felt myself breathing heavily and wiped a hand across my forehead to find a layer of sweat. I quickly turned off my alarm and climbed out of bed, heading straight for my coffee pot.


"You doing all right?" Marie asked as I walked into the office, coffee mug in hand, hair done messily on the top of my head. I turned to look at her. "Yea," I said, "I'm fine." She rose her eyebrows, clearly not convinced, and I moved away from her and into my office.


I lay in bed that night, staring up at the ceiling, feeling completely unsettled and stressed. It was like all the strange eeriness of the situation, everything I was avoiding thinking about, was crashing down on me at once. More than anything though, more than the fact that Mika was writing my dreams, more than his little ritual of feeling eerily tired the night before he wrote, it was the woman in the car that scared me, that disturbed me. More than just the spooky aura she had, more than the icy glare she had given me-four year old me-more than the fact that four-year old me and four-year old Mika had willingly got into her car, what disturbed me about her was that... she was me.


I don't know how much time passes before I finally clear my throat. The woman doesn't budge. "Um, miss?" I manage to squeak out. The woman immediately reaches towards the radio and turns the dial down, so the car is filled with silence, and my stomach ties itself into a knot as I swallow. "Yes, dear?" the woman asks, and I swallow again at her referring to me as "dear". "Where are we going?" She smiles slightly as she pulls into another lane. We are on the freeway now. "You'll see once we get there, now won't you?" Mika swallows next to me, loudly. "My mommy says no to talk to strangers," he manages quietly. I squeez his hand, and he shoots me a look of fear. "Does she now," the woman says. "Well," she continues, her smile turning smug, "I'm not exactly a stranger, now am I?" Mika blinks. "'Scuse me, miss?" The woman chuckles quietly. "But we won't talk anyway." She reaches out and once again turns up the radio, and "Jealousy" by Good Charlotte starts playing.


© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment