Thursday, July 22, 2010

Nibble part 13

"Hey, Remi," Maggie said as she walked into the kitchen, wearing
Victoria's Secret sweats and slippers with one iPod headphone hanging
from her ear. She yawned and walked over to the fridge, pulling it open
and reaching for a yogurt. "Morning, Maggie," I replied, putting a
spoonful of my own yogurt in my mouth. She yawned again and turned
to face me, "How come you guys aren't in school?"
"Oh, um, parent-teacher conferences." She nodded, "Oh. Right. Sucks
that you guys aren't on summer yet." I sighed, "Yea, wish I was in
college." She smiled, "On the quarter system." I nodded. Lindsay came
in then from the living room where her and Gabby were watching some
show that plays on Monday mornings. Weird, but whatever. "Hey, sis,"
she greeted Maggie as she crossed the kitchen to the cupboards and
searched for her favorite mug. She pulled it out and walked over to the
coffee maker. "Morning, little sister. Is Gabby here too?" Lindsay
nodded as she poured her coffee. Maggie nodded, "K, well, I'll be in my
room if you guys need me. For now, at least." I smiled in reply and
Lindsay nodded, reaching into another cupboard to find the sugar. "So,"
she said, turning to me as Maggie went upstairs, "you gonna come watch
TV with us or what?" I laughed and nodded, picking up my bowl and my
own mug and following her into the cozy living room.
My cell phone rang at its usual time as Lindsay, Maggie, and I all sat
in Lindsay's room, video chatting with Juan. I flipped the phone open,
turning away from Lindsay's lap top. "Hey, Harrison."
"Hey little sister. So sorry I didn't call you yesterday. Frat parties, you
know. Watcha gonna do." I chuckled and he continued, "But anyway,
speaking of parties. How was Maggie's? Heard she threw a big one
Saturday night." I sighed, "Yup, she did. Sweaty people, loud music,
no breathing space, awkward conversations with people not quite there.
You know, the works." Harrison laughed, "You always did have a positive
outlook on the party lifestyle." I snorted, "Oh yea. You name it, I'm there.
My favorite thing to do on a Saturday night." Harrison chuckled, "Taking
after your brother, there," he said sarcastically. I snorted again, "Not
hardly." Lindsay noticed me talking and said, "Hey, your brother should
VC with us!" I frowned and shook my head. "Aw, come on," Lindsay
protested, "Please?" I sighed, "Harrison, you wanna VC?"
"Sure. Where you at?"
"Lindsay's. Gabby's here too. And Juan's also VCing with us."
"Hey," Juan said. Harrison chuckled, "Sure. Should I request you or-"
"I already requested you," Lindsay said loud enough for him to hear.
Harrison chuckled and hung up. I flipped my phone closed and turned to
the lap top just in time to see Harrison's face pop up on the screen next to
Juan's. "Hey guys," Harrison said, "Hey, uh..."
"Juan," Juan said with a chuckle. I rolled my eyes and smiled and Lindsay
giggled, flirt mode already on.
"Remi? Is that you?" I sighed and closed my eyes momentarily before
closing my front door behind me and stepping into my house. "Yea, mom.
It's me."
"Oh good, you're home. Your father had to work late tonight. He asked me
to pick up his dry cleaning, but I have so much to do. Would you mind
picking it up for your father?" I sighed and walked down the hallway,
throwing my bag onto my bed and taking the car keys back out of my
pocket. "Yea. Sure. No problem."

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment