Friday, July 9, 2010

Nibble part 8

Nick started talking to me over the next couple of weeks. As we would walk, he would just say something. Nothing important, nothing deep. But at the same time, it wasn't like he was pining for conversation. Just kind of like he was commenting on my silence, almost. Like he knew I wanted to hear his voice. "I didn't used to have insomnia."
"Me neither." Nick was silent for another moment as we continued walking, and I waited for him to once again break the silence. "How did yours start?" he asked absentmindedly. He looked up at me when I didn't reply, and I shook my head. He got the hint and said, "I think mine probably started in middle school, when some of my old friends and I formed a band." He laughed, "We would practice into the early morning. But we still sucked." I smiled and continued walking. He didn't say anything else. And so it went on like that-he said something, I replied, he said something more and then cut himself off before he entered territory that was too deep. Territory neither of us wanted to share with each other.
"Juan's visiting this weekend," Lindsay said as we sat at our lunch table on Tuesday, Gabby eating a celery stick, (she claimed she was trying to eat healthier, not dieting,) Lindsay eating a cafeteria cookie, (her perfect body was all in the genes, much to Gabby's dismay,) and me eating a sandwich. (I was right in the middle as far as our group went. My body was natural, but along with my thin waistline came a relatively small chest. Well, small when compared to Lindsay's or Gabby's.) "He's taking me to dinner," she said with a mischievous grin. Gabby rolled her eyes, "Just you wait, Lindsay, you'll regret willingly joining a long-distance relationship. Don't come crying to me when it goes all wrong." I laughed and Lindsay rolled her eyes. Gabby smiled, "In-the-area is the way to go. Shane's even applying for Berkeley." Now it was Lindsay's turn to roll her eyes, "He may be applying. But he's not gonna get in." Gabby rolled her eyes, "Shut up. I'm tutoring him."
"Oh, is that what you call it," Lindsay said with a smirk. Gabby slapped her arm, "Shut up. You're disgusting." I got up to go to the cafeteria, happy to find any excuse to leave this conversation. As I walked towards the cafeteria I pulled out my wallet and and rummaged for a dollar bill. Suddenly, I felt a hand grab my arm and pull me. "Gah!" I screamed. Nick let go of my arm and shook his head, and I realized I had almost walked into a trash can. "Oh," I said, blushing, "thanks."
"You really need to watch where you're walking," Nick said with his half-smile. I blushed brighter and he walked away from me. I turned just in time to see Lindsay staring she smiled slightly and looked down, back to Gabby, pretending she hadn't seen anything. My face still red, I hurried into the cafeteria.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment