Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Peek-A-Boo (i see you) part 1

I started this story a while ago and never posted it...I decided I wanted to share it. So here it is. Hope you enjoy.

Lights flashing...music blasting...where am I?


Three AM. The place is loud, filled with music; hollering people, and a few losers attempting karaoke even though the microphones clearly don’t work. I get up and look around. I’m surrounded by people, shoulder to shoulder. ‘Right Round’ by Flo Rida is playing over the loud speakers, drowning out any possibility of eavesdropping without being a centimeter from the mouth of the person you’re trying to hear. What the heck is going on?

“Where are you?” a man in jeans and a baggy shirt yells in my face. I check his ears for a bluetooth, but he doesn’t have one. I shrug, “I don’t know. Where are you?” He shrugs also, “I’m not sure, that’s why I was asking you.”

Right Round plays over and over. Nothing else but it. Thankfully, I don’t believe the song to be half-bad, so I can deal with it repeating. What I can’t deal with is this absurd party, these absurd people, and how absurd it is that I don’t know what’s going on...and neither does anyone else.

The walls are purple with blue polka-a-dots. Every time I walk by a door, someone jumps out and says, “I FOUND YOU!” Finally, I walk to the end of a hallway and find a door. I try the handle. Its unlocked, but there’s no one inside. I find a letter and reach for it...


‘YOU SPIN MY HEAD RIGHT ROUND RIGHT ROUND WHEN YOU GO DOWN WHEN YOU GO DOWN DOWN’ my alarm yelled in my ear. Laughing, I smashed the button with the palm of my hand. Weird dreams I have.

“DAN-IELL-AAA!” Marie sang as she skipped over to me in the office. I smiled at her, “Hello, Marie. What’s up?”

“David’s on line one.” I groaned. “Paul’s on line two...” I groaned louder, “and Gucci is on line three.” I stopped walking. “Did you just say Gucci is on line three?!”

“Mhm.”

“Why?!”

“Cause I wanted to see your reaction,” Marie said with a giggle. I smacked her arm, “Thanks.” She laughed, “Anywho, you have a meeting with what’s-her-name at four-”

I stopped her, “Did you know the phrase ‘what’s-her-name’ was used in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen?” Marie laughed, “Thank you for that pointless fact. My entire life will be a little bit better because of that.” I continued walking, “Glad I could be of assistance. Although, I’m not sure, it might have been what’s-his-name...”

“So, anyway-”

“That’ll do, Marie. Thank you,” I smiled and closed the clear door of my personal office. Marie frowned in at me as I walked over to the phone and pressed the button for line 1. “Dave, how are you?” I said in a friendly voice to the phone. “Quite fine, thank you, but I was wondering if you had looked at my book yet,” David replied. I waved my hand at Marie, mouthing ‘Go away’, as she pressed a sheet of paper to the glass that said, “Belle at four o’clock!!!”

“Actually, Dave, I haven’t quite gotten to reading it yet,” I said as I sat down in my swivel chair and pulled the drawer marked ‘unread’ open and pulled out David’s manuscript. “but I’m sure it’s quite fantastic, and I’ll get to it as soon as possible.”

“Well, alright, but-”

“Now, David, I really must be going, because I’m a very busy woman. I’ll read your manuscript as soon as possible. Thank you for calling Danny’s Publishing Company, and have a nice day.” I pressed the button for line two before David was able to protest. “Paul, how are you? How’re the kids?”

“Great, thank you. I was just wondering if you had finished reading my book yet, because I really need it back soon if you’re not going to publish it. I’d like to send it another publisher if you won’t take it.” I practically spit out my coffee. “You only printed one copy?!” I asked, managing to keep my voice sane. “Well, yes, ink costs a lot of money nowadays-” I groaned internally and said, “Alright, Paul, thank you. I’ll just send it back to you then, since you’re in such as hurry to get it to another publisher. Thank you for trying your luck with Danny’s Publishing Company, better luck next time.”

“I didn’t mean that-” Paul started in protest, “Have a nice day, Paul. We’ll talk to you later.” I hung up the phone and leaned back in my chair, covering my eyes with my hands. “Oy. People nowadays.” Marie knocked on the door, and I motioned for her to come in. “Ma’am, Mrs. Foster is here.” I stood up, nodding. Then, as I walked out of my office, Marie closing the door and following closely behind, I said, “Did you know that Paul only printed one copy of his manuscript?” Marie raised her eyebrows. “Honestly. I didn’t even bother to look at it. How could he expect me to publish his book when he is being so unprofessional?” Marie laughed at me and said, “Oh, Danny. I don’t know, maybe he’s a good writer. You never know.” I laughed, “No, you’re right, I don’t know. And I’m not going to bother to find out.” Marie sighed, “Whatever you say, ma’am.”

“Quit calling me ma’am.”

“K, Danny.” I smiled at her and pushed the door open to the entryway of the third floor. “Mrs. Foster, always a pleasure. Please, come to my office,” I said with a sappy working smile. Marie sat down at her desk and shook her head as I walked to my office with Mrs. Foster in tow.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment