Friday, July 9, 2010

Nibble part 3

We sat in the food court at the mall on Saturday, enjoying the shopping atmosphere and the smell of fried foods. "I'm thinking about getting my hair cut," Gabrielle said, tugging on her long black hair, "I'm so sick of all this hair."
"I don't know if you should. You've got a good thing going for you- gorgeous warm tanned skin, long, silky black hair. Guys are gonna be all over you in college." Gabrielle sniffed, "If guys were ever gonna be all over me, it would have started three years ago. Besides, I feel like you look at me and all you think is: Mexican." I rolled my eyes, "Please, Gabby. You don't even look Mexican. You look, like...Persian, or something. Your skin is, like, perfect." Gabrielle sniffed, "I don't think so. But whatever. I think I wanna cut my hair anyway. And you shouldn't argue, Lindsay, with your constant haircuts." Lindsay smiled, "Yea, but my hair is made for styling. I mean, it might as well say "cut me" on it." I laughed, "Right."
"What about you, Remi? Are you going to cut your hair for college?" Gabby asked, taking a sip of her coke. I shrugged, looking down at my mid-length wavy auburn hair, "I don't know. I just cut it a few months ago. I'm fine with this length."
"If a few months means seven, then yes, you did just cut it a few months ago," Lindsay said, grinning, "But you don't need to cut your hair anyway." She sighed, "I'm so jealous of you. You have this, like, perfect color. You should be, like, a hair model or something." Gabrielle laughed, "Or just a normal model. Your face is perfect too." I laughed, "Thanks, you guys, but I don't think I could be either of those things. I have too many split ends, and my face is far from perfect. Maybe if I could get rid of my acne and put some more skin on my cheeks." Gabby sniffed and Lindsay gasped. "Please," Gabby said, "You call that acne? A couple of pimples is not acne." I rolled my eyes, "Like you would know, Gabby. Your skin is perfect." Lindsay shook her head, "The real problem with what you just said is your cheeks. I can't believe you said that. Your cheeks are, like, perfect! They're like, sculpted- like... like... like Keira Knightley. Yea."
Gabby rolled her eyes, "No, Lindsay. Keira Knightley's cheeks are rounder than Remi's." Lindsay sighed, "Well, yea, usually. But, you know when she, like, purses her lips? The famous Keira Knightley lip-purse thing? Well, when she does that, she kind of, like, sucks in her cheeks- so they're just perfectly sculpted. Remi has cheeks like that." Gabby looked at me now, intently studying my face. "Oh. Yea, I guess you're right." I laughed outright, "I can't believe you guys have the image of Keira Knightley's cheeks when she purses her lips memorized in your minds." Lindsay shrugged, "Hey, I like Pride and Prejudice. It never gets old." Gabby smiled and took another sip of her coke and I shook my head with a chuckle. Lindsay stood up, "Well, girls," she smiled widely, "the shopping awaits!" Gabby and I stood up and we walked off, elbows linked, heading toward the stores. I could only imagine what we looked like to strangers- three high school girls, arm in arm, one tan with a blonde bob and blue eyes, one dark-skinned with long black hair and warm brown eyes, and one fair-skinned with mid-length auburn hair and green eyes. We were all so different, and yet, best friends.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment