Saturday, July 10, 2010

Nibble part 10

"You didn't pick up your phone last night," Lindsay said to me. I smiled at her, "Hi, Lindsay."
"How come you didn't pick up your phone?" she asked, scrunching up her nose. "What time did you call?" I asked absentmindedly as I tucked my binder into my bag. "About three." I looked up at Lindsay, "Lindsay. You're seriously asking me why I didn't pick up my phone when you called me at three AM."
"Yea, well, I've done it before, and you always picked up." I shrugged, "I probably left it at home." I realized what I had just done and immediately smoothed out my face, knowing I had a shocked and worried expression. "Left it at home? What? Where did you go?" Nick walked past us then. Perfect timing, as usual. I felt myself blush as I looked down and he chuckled under his breath and kept walking. As always, Lindsay noticed. Boy, did she notice. "Were you with Nick Angel?" she hissed under her breath. "No!" I practically screamed. Thank God he was out of earshot. She narrowed her eyes, "You weren't."
"I-I mean, no, I wasn't." Lindsay crossed her arms over her chest, clearly not convinced, and I sighed and said, "I mean, I ran into him. I went to the department store. And I ran into him. But I wasn't, like, with him. We didn't hang out or something." Lindsay glared me down like she was the FBI agent and I was the suspect. I could feel myself wince. "You went to the department store," she said. I nodded. "At three o'clock in the morning." I winced again, "Well, yea, I mean, I was at the department store."
"At three AM."
"Yea."
"And Nick Angel just happened to be there too." I winced a third time, and hit myself mentally for it. I hated lying to Lindsay. But really, if I told her this, I'd have to tell her why I had insomnia in the first place. And no matter how much Lindsay meant to me, I was not going to tell her that. I was not going to tell anyone that. "He was outside," I said. "He was outside the department store." I nodded. "Why were you at the department store?" she asked. I groaned, "Geez, Lindsay, what is this, a cop investigation or something? I just went to the department store to get some stuff and Nick was there! Ok?" Lindsay widened her eyes. "Sorry," I said. She shook her head, "No, I shouldn't have scrutinized you like that." She smiled at me, "Let's just go to class and forget this happened?" I smiled and nodded, and we walked to class together. But I had a feeling that this was going to come up again sometime.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment