Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 59

The day of the prom came. I pulled into Sadie's driveway just as she stepped out of her house in a long violet dress. She smiled and waved at me and I smiled back. She hurried up to my car and pulled the passenger-side door open, climbing in next to me. "Geez, these heels are killing my feet already," she said as I pulled out of her driveway and turned up to volume of my iPod, which was connected to the car's speakers. "This is gonna be a long night," she sighed. I laughed and we drove the rest of the way talking about everything but Angela.
As we walked into the hotel ball room, I immediately found myself searching for Angela. "Tyler!" Sadie hollered over the music with a laugh, "Let's dance!" I smiled at her and obliged, but I even as we danced, I searched the room for signs of Angela's black hair, her slender figure slipping through the crowd. Those green eyes meeting with mine. But I didn't see her anywhere. Which, of course, didn't mean she wasn't there, considering the room was huge and full of people not only from my old school but also other various places. As Sadie and I took a break and headed toward the covers filled with food, I spotted Selena. "Selena!" I called out. She turned and smiled widely, waving at me. She made her way through the crowd and hugged me once she finally reached us. "Hi! I was wondering if you would come!" I smiled, "Good to see you!" She laughed, "You too! Lookin' nice!"
"You too!" Sadie turned, hearing our hollering and tilted her head at Selena. "You're..."
"Selena!"
"Oh! Hi! I'm Sadie!" Sadie hollered. Selena laughed and screamed, "Nice to meet you!"
"Where's Angela?" I asked Selena as she reached out to grab a cookie off of the table. "I don't know, lost her in the crowd! I think she was dancing with that Sean guy!" I wrinkled my eyebrows, "Who?"
"Her friend, Sean! I think she just met him a little while ago!" She turned as her date glanced at us from inside the crowd. "Well, I better go," she yelled, "but I'll definitely see you guys later! We should all catch up some time!" Sadie smiled and I nodded, "Yea, course! See you!" Selena waved and then was lost in the crowd again.
After a while, Sadie and I squeezed our way through the crowds and onto the large patio to breath fresh air. There was a scattering of people with the same idea standing out there, and we made our way to a corner of the balcony. I leaned against the banister and took a deep breath, wiping sweat from my forehead, "Geez, it's hot in there." Sadie laughed and nodded in agreement, "You can say that again."

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment