Monday, July 12, 2010

Nibble part 12

I gasped, my eyes wide and my jaw down. "Jeez, take a chill pill or some Xanax or something," Lindsay said, rolling her eyes as I stared at the screen, "That's seriously your mom?" I asked in shock. She nodded, smiling slightly, "Yup." She put a hand over her heart and looked up at the ceiling, "God bless the 80's." Gabby and I finally cracked, doubling over in laughter at the video of Lindsay's mom holding a baby Maggie in a complete 80's get-up with huge hair. She was smiling like an idiot at her baby girl, clueless to the fact that, years from then, her other daughter, not born yet, would be watching this video with her friends and, rather than fawning over her beautiful baby girl, would be laughing out loud at her outfit and hairstyle. The video ended and Lindsay turned off her flat screen. We turned to face each other and Gabby said, "Oh, hey, Remi, I forgot to ask you earlier. Were you talking to Nick Angel when you went over to get some water?" I stole a quick glance at Lindsay, who rose her eyebrows, and then I looked back at Gabby and said, "Uh, yea."
"He was just commenting on the house," Lindsay told Gabby as she reached out to the coffee table and grabbed a handful of barbecue chips." Great. Now Gabby was in on the lie too. Lovely. Lindsay held up two colors of nail polish, "Ok, guys. Which one?"
"Pink," I said, just as Gabby said, "Blue." Lindsay laughed, "Ok. Rock paper scissors."
"Hey, Shelby," Nick said in his always-shocking voice as he stepped out of the shadows on Sunday night. I chuckled lightly and replied with a nod, "Quentin." Nick half-smiled and fell into step behind me. "What were you doing at that party, anyway?" I asked him as we walked in the darkness. "Looking for you," he replied casually in that gruff voice. My breath caught in my throat again. "Um... why, um, why were you doing that?" He grinned at my stutter and replied in an even tone, "You didn't show up. I was concerned." I glanced back at him, "But you know that Have plans on the weekends often." He nodded, "Yea, but I've heard some rumors lately about a gang making it's way around town. I didn't want to take any chances. I heard about the party at Lindsay's place and figured you were there, but, you know. I wanted to make sure." I glanced back at him again and he caught my glance and blushed, looking down. I blushed, too, and turned around. I had never seen him blush. It sent a little chill down my spine, just like his voice did, but, once again, it wasn't a chill of fear. Something else entirely. "Thanks," I said quietly. Almost muttered. He sort of said "yea" and sort grunted in reply. Was I starting to have the same effect on him as he had on me? I pictured him at Lindsay's place-when he leaned forward, what he said. I found myself blush again and we walked the rest of the way in silence.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment