Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 60

She turned to me, and I rose an eyebrow at her expression.
Suddenly, she pressed her lips to mine. It didn’t feel right. Her lips weren’t soft and didn’t fit into mine like one would expect them to. Instead they just felt hard and forced, like she desperately wanted to be in love with me, but wasn’t. And I certainly wasn’t in love with her. I wanted to push away, to go back into my comfort zone where her hard mouth wasn’t forcing itself upon mine. My body was in shock for a few seconds before I was able to gain control of my arms and push away from her. I felt like spitting out the taste of her lip balm, but figured that would seem rude. She stared at me. Had she actually enjoyed that? Was this some kind of prank? “I love you,” she sputtered. My eyes widened. As I rubbed my mouth with my jacket sleeve, I practically hollered, “WHAT?!” A half smile snuck onto her mouth. Maybe my lips were softer than hers. I put my hands out in front of me, “Sadie. No. I’m sorry, but just...NO.” She raised an eyebrow in confusion, as if no was a completely foreign word to her. “What do you mean no? No what?”
“I don’t love you! And please don’t kiss me again! Ever!” Her eyes started welling with tears and I realized how totally cruel that had sounded. “Its not like that, Sadie. I love someone else. I always have. There’s no room in my heart left.” The water in her eyes only spilled over as I tried to comfort her. “But-but we’re...we’re perfect for each other!” she stuttered. I wrinkled my nose, “Um...no offense, Sadie, but no we’re not. You’re a great friend, but I’m just...not interested. I love someone else, and you and I aren’t really compatible in that way.” She looked down at the floor. “This is not how I played out this moment in my head,” she said quietly. My cheeks burned red and guilt ate at me. “Sadie-”
“Someone else! Honestly. I should have seen that coming. I thought you were over that girl.” I raised an eyebrow. She sighed, “Well. There you go. I just lost my first kiss to an already taken just friend.” I couldn’t help but laugh at that statement, and she put on her cute little half-smile. I put my hand on her cheek, “Don’t worry, Sadie. You’re a beautiful girl and an amazing person. There’s plenty of other guys out there who would die for you.” She smiled at me. I shrugged, “But I suppose it makes sense that the first time you kiss someone you’re the one doing the kissing, since your name is Sadie Hawkins.” She laughed, “Yea. Ironic, right?” She sighed, “Well...a lost cause, I suppose.” I smiled half-heartedly. “Have a great life with whatever-her-name-is,” she said. I smiled brightly, “Angela.” She looked into my eyes as she said, “Is she beautiful?”
“She’s gorgeous. Inside and out.” She whistled, “Wow. Well, can’t beat that, I guess.” I laughed, “Pretend this never happened?” I asked, sticking out my hand. She smiled and shook it, “Ok.” Just then, I heard something crash and turned to see Angela, her dark hair partially covering her face as she leaned over to pick up the plant she had just knocked over. She stood up and looked straight at me. She was wearing a long red silk gown and black gloves. Her hair shined under the moon and she parted her lips, which were red and shining. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever laid eyes on. "Angela!" I called out. She brought a hand up to her mouth and turned quickly from me, dashing back into the ball room. I took a step towards her and then stopped for a moment as Sadie said, "Wow. She is gorgeous." I turned and realized what Angela just seen. "Oh geez," I muttered, turning quickly from Sadie and dashing after Angela. "What?" Sadie asked, her face confused as I hurdled myself into the crowd.

© 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment