Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Peek-A-Boo (i see you) part 6

I was exhausted again when I finally got home from the office. Every part of me felt heavy. I headed straight upstairs, into my bedroom, and as I climbed into my bed after changing and taking care of hygiene, I felt like I was shedding the heavy layers wearing me down. I sighed contentedly and let myself fall into a deep sleep once again.


We finish singing the song and suddenly I see headlights coming down the street, from outside the fence of the house. The car slows as it passes us, and then continues down a turn in the road. I look at Mika. "Do you know where we are?" He smiles widely at me, and I notice that he is missing two teeth. "Come on," he says excitedly, ignoring my question and letting go of my hand as he jumps off the swings. I follow quickly behind him and grab his hand again as he pulls me to the side of the yard and reaches up to open the fence. He reaches and reaches, but it is too high. "I can't reach," he says, "let me put you on my shoulders, and you can open it." I frown, not liking this plan much, but don't argue when he bends down. I climb onto his back and reach up, unlatching the fence. Mika puts me down and he quickly presses the fence open, once again taking my hand as we hurry out of the yard and into the street. He checks both ways and then rockets down the road after the fence. I let go of his hand so that we can run easier side by side. It is dark. Really dark. "Mika, it's dark, I'm scared," I pant as we turn onto another street, the headlights of the car flashing bright far ahead of us. I wonder how Mika had known that the car turned this way, but I don't ask him about it. "Don't worry," Mika says quickly, taking my hand again as we run farther and farther away from the house, the people, the jungle gym. "I think it's lighter up here," he motions towards where the car is headed. "How do you know?"

"I don't. That's why I said 'I think.'" I glance at him and the car finally pulls onto the side of the street, letting us catch up to it. As we do, the woman in the driver's seat rolls down her window. She has a large fur coat, a red hat, black gloves, and large, dark sunglasses. As her window disappears from our sight and she looks at us, the song, "The Violet Hour" by Sea Wolf plays on her radio and spills out onto the street.


"Your lips are nettles, your tongue is wine," my alarm sang sweetly into my ear. I sat up and let the song play for a minute longer before pressing the button on top of my alarm to silence it. I looked at the wall in front of me and sighed, pushing my covers out of the way as I slipped out of bed.


© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment