Friday, July 9, 2010

Nibble part 9

Lindsay and Gabby were going on a double-date on Friday night. Really, I didn't feel left out at all. It wouldn't be the first Friday in my life I spent home. I wasn't hurt or lonely at all.
But of course Lindsay and Gabby refused to believe this.
So, I ended up being dragged along on their double-date. I sat in between Gabby and Lindsay at the movies, Juan and Shane sat on their opposite sides. But of course, a movie wasn't enough. And I still couldn't go home. No, I would be too lonely. So not only did they drag the guys around the mall as they tried on a countless number of garments, they also brought me, though I didn't have any money, so I just stood awkwardly with the guys as my best friends tried on clothes and giggled in the dressing rooms. They sort of tried to make conversation. I made it clear enough I wasn't interested, and eventually we all consented to a mutual silence as we followed the girls around like golden retrievers to their owners. Then, finally, they drove me home and released me to my house. When I stepped inside, I found the yelling had already started. I slipped into the bathroom and detoured to my bedroom, grabbing my bag. I tucked my notepad into the bag along with my flashlight and snuck to the side door, exiting the house.
"I wasn't sure if you'd be coming," a smoker-like voice said from the shadows. Nick stepped into the beam of light from the streetlight a few yards down. "Seems like you have plans on the weekends."
"Usually. Tonight my friends went on double dates. And dragged me with them." Nick chuckled and we walked into the alley.
Nick turned from me to walk away. "Where are you going?" I asked suddenly. I had been wondering for a while, but for some reason I hadn't wanted to ask. He turned and smiled that half smile at me, "Maybe I'll show you sometime," he nodded toward my notepad, and I clutched it closer to my chest, "when you show me your poetry." His half-smile grew into a full smile and he looked down at the ground, laughed, and looked back up at me. He smiled once more and shook his head, and then turned and walked away.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment