Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 57

I walked into the airport and took a deep breath. "So she said she would be right here?" my mom asked, nervous, prone to getting lost in airports. "Yes, mom. We don't have to go searching for her. You can stop freaking out." My mom sighed, "I just wish she would have called earlier. Such short notice is kind of rude."
"Mom. I, like, just started talking to her again, in case you forgot." My mom scrunched up her nose, "Oh. That's right." I rolled my eyes and looked away from her just as I saw Tammy coming up to us, wearing her usual apparel: bright red skinny jeans, a purple and blue polka-a-dot shirt with a white leather jacket over it, huge truck-shaped earrings, and her usual big round glasses. She smiled widely when she saw me and I ran up to her and wrapped my hands around, completely forgetting about the awkwardness around her as the overwhelming scent of her shampoo attacked me. Her hair, as usual, was spiked, but now the dirty-blonde hairs were tipped with red. "Wow," I said, pulling back, "I love you hair." She smiled, "Right? Just got it done two weeks ago. I love it." She smiled mischieviously, "And so does Roy."
"Roy? What? Who's Roy?" I asked, recognizing the giddy, girly tone of my voice that always came out when I was with Tammy. When I was with Dustin. I swallowed at this thought and grabbed her suitcase, pulling it behind me as she told me all about her new boyfriend.

"So, you never answered me," Sadie said on Sunday afternoon as we walked down the boulevard, "are you going to the junior prom?" I shrugged, "I dunno. I guess..." my voice trailed off as a figure in the distance waved wildly. I looked behind me and saw no one. "Who's that?" Sadie asked, taking a bite of her celery stick as we walked closer. It was Drawe, smiling wildly. I laughed as he ran up to us, "Ed, man, what's up?"
"Hey Tyler! What up man? We haven't talked in like forever!" I smiled, "Yea, man! What are you doing here?"
"My mom had to see some people or something, I dunno. Hey, are you gonna
swing by for prom or whatever?" I scrunched up my nose, "Huh?"
"Yea, I dunno, man, apparently lotsa people that switched schools are visiting
for prom. 'All Visitors Welcome', apparently, man." I thought immediately
of Angela. What would she think if I showed up there? Would she be happy
to see me? "Oh. Huh. I hadn't heard. Maybe I will." Ed smiled like an idiot,
"you should, man! I bet Angie would wanna see you." I blushed, he laughed,
and Sadie glanced at me. "Man, I was so bummed 'bout your leaving. Not
only did I lose an awesome player for the team, I also lost my chance at the
hot seats with Selena! You coulda hooked me up, man!" I laughed, "What
do you mean?"
"Well, you know, 'cause her and Angie are so close." He smiled widely and
Sadie cleared her throat. "Oh!" I said, "I'm sorry. Ed, this is Sadie. Sadie,
Ed." Ed stuck out his hand, "Nice to meet you. Last name's Drawe." She
smiled back and shook his hand, "Nice to meet you. Second name's
Hawkins."
"Hawkins? Like, Sadie Hawkins?" Sadie smiled and nodded, and Drawe
laughed. "Dude! Mean parents, man!" She laughed, "Yea. They met at the
Sadie Hawkins dance, so they decided to take out their mushy-gushy
genes on me." Ed laughed, "Nice to meet you, Hawkins. You seem pretty
cool. You gonna come to our dance?" I froze. Uh oh. Sadie glanced at me,
"Oh. I didn't go there. I don't think I'm really...invited." Ed shrugged,
"Naw, man. All visitors welcome. You can visit a place where you don't
know no one, can't you? 'Sides, now you know me!" He grinned widely
and Sadie grinned back. "Well. Maybe I will." I closed my eyes for half a
second before catching myself and managing to smile at her as she smiled
widely at me. Ed noticed the slight awkwardness and said, "Well, uh, I
gotta go, but I'll see you there, huh?" I looked back at him, "Yea. Maybe.
See you, Drawe." Ed smiled widely once again and waved at us as he ran
to catch up with his family.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment