Friday, July 23, 2010

Nibble part 14

"Evening, Remi."
"Hey, Carl," I said to the old man as I stepped into the convenience store, my dad's dry cleaning already in the backseat of my car. "What are you doing out so late?" he asked me as I walked over to the snack aisle. I chuckled at the irony of this question and replied, "It's only nine thirty, Carl."
He shrugged, "Still. Too late for a young lady to be out on her own when there's a gang goin' around town." I glanced at him and said, "Oh, so you've heard about them too." He whistled, "Oh, yea. Everyone has. Took out a couple of kids just a couple of nights ago." I rose an eyebrow, "Took out? Who?"
"Out of towners, no one you know. And they're not dead, just badly injured and indebted." He shook his head, "Such a pity." I nodded absentmindedly and grabbed a package of cookies. Carl rang me up and I waved half-heartedly, slipping out of the store.
"Is that Joan Jett?"
"And the Blackhearts. The only way to go." I laughed, biting into an Oreo and watching Harrison through the computer screen as he leaned toward his speakers and turned up Bad Reputation. His roommate jumped up on his bed and started screaming the lyrics along with the music. I laughed and Harrison said, "Jason saw The Runaways, and all I've been hearing isRunaways and Blackhearts. Good thing I like them." I shook my head with a smile as I Love Rock and Roll started playing. Jason sang along to the song waving his arms and messing up the lyrics. He also screamed out the acoustic parts, and it was impossible not to laugh at the spectacle-one that was frankly typical of anyone listening to the old classic. Harrison and I joined Jason in singing along with the legendary chorus. Harrison shook his head and stopped singing with a chuckle, and Jason continued dancing on his side of the room as Harrison asked, "How was school?"
"Educational."
"More educational than Joan?" I laughed and made a face, "Hm. Not quite." Harrison chuckled and turned his head, watching his roommate dancing to AC/DC. He shook his head and turned back to me, "Boy, is he lucky he got me as his roommate. I don't know who else would put up with this every night." I laughed, "Getting sick of Jett?" He put a hand over his heart, "Never! Just his crappy dancing." I laughed again and then turned my head quickly when I heard mom's car pulling into the driveway. I sighed and turned back to the screen, "Mom's home." Harrison waved, "Bye!" and his face paused on the screen, the words "Harrison has left the chat" on the corner of the screen. I quit the chat and shut my lap top, falling back onto my bed and picking up my already-finished math homework, holding it over my head. My mom didn't acknowledge me before I heard her office door close, and I sat up and put away my homework in my background, walking to my bathroom to take a shower.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment