Monday, August 3, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts (short story) part 16


Another video came up with Dustin standing on the edge of a lake staring out at the fabulous view of mountains and trees and water. She was wearing a white bikini and a big old fashion looking black hat. "Look at the water!" she yelled to the camera, "Isn't it fabulous?" The camera scanned over the lake. "Absolutely amazing!" she said. "That's enough videos," Angela said. "Let's go downstairs and watch a movie or something."

"What should we watch?" I asked. Tyler walked over to the movie cabinet and pulled out Keith, my favorite movie. "What's this?" he asked. "That's my favorite movie," I said with a smile. "Ok then, let's watch this one." Jake looked at me and rose one of his eyebrows. The movie was a romance between a girl and a boy with cancer, and at the end of the movie the boy, Keith, died. Jake looked at me, knowing I got emotional over this movie even before the death of my sister, and probably wondering if I could handle it now. I nodded and he shrugged. The movie used to bug him, you know, a chick flick, but I had a feeling he didn't want to argue at the moment. Tyler put the movie in and we all sat down on the couch. Jake ordered three pizzas, cheese, pepperoni, and Hawaiian. I sat there for about two minutes watching the movie before my eyes filled up with tears. "You ok?" Tyler asked. I wiped away the tears and nodded. "I have to go to the bathroom," I said. I got up from the couch and started up the stairs. "You want us to pause it?" Tyler asked. "No, its ok. I've seen it plenty times." I rushed the rest of the way up the stairs and locked my self in the bathroom. My breathing had sped up. I put one hand on my throat and wiped the sweat of my forehead with the other one. I took a big breath in and released it. I walked slowly over to the sink and turned on the faucet. I let the water flow over my fingers for a while and then splashed my face a couple times with the cold water. I rubbed my face with a towel and sprayed perfume on my neck. The perfume's fragrance filled up the room and I breathed it in carefully, not wanting to much to go into my lungs. I walked away from the sink and was about to open the bathroom door when the memory I had been pushing away came to me. The day of Dustin's death. Right before we went up to play cards, we watched Keith. I was crying and Dustin was laughing at me. "Its just a movie!" she said. "I know, but its not like it doesn't actually happen all the time," I said after I blew my nose in the napkin she handed me. "Death is hard," she said, looking at the screen as the credits played, "but you can get through anything. You have me! And even if you didn't, I'm sure you could deal with it. You're a strong girl." I smiled at her and said, "Thanks for the lecture." She laughed and asked me, "You wanna go play cards?" I snapped back into reality and found more tears streaming down my cheeks. I went back to the sink and rinsed my face again. The words, "Death is hard..." kept running through my head. I walked over to the bathroom door and swung it open. "But I can get through anything," I whispered to myself. I breathed in again to compose my quick breath and headed back downstairs.

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment