Sunday, August 23, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 20

"Hey Tyler, can you help me with something?" Angela asked me. "Sure," I replied, "anything."
"Can you help me become a Christian?" she asked as she took a step closer to me, "I don't really know how to do it...officially..." My eyes widened and I mimicked her by taking a step closer. "You want to become a Christian?" I said, a smiled creeping onto my mouth. She nodded. "Ok," I said, taking her hands in mine. We closed our eyes and I prayed. She repeated my words as I asked Jesus to come into her heart and to forgive her for her sins. When I finished, she opened her eyes, smiling widely, and wrapped her arms around my shoulders. "Thank you!" she said. I smiled, "Don't thank me, thank God." She smiled wider, "I already did!" I wrapped my arms around her, feeling the happiest I had been in a long time.

So Tyler was the one. I wasn't surprised. In fact, I was relieved. I was relieved to find out that what I had been suspecting was true. Andrew's face came into my mind, he flipped his hair and smiled perfectly. His blue eyes sparkled with excitement like a small child at the top of a slide. I felt faint. He was so beautiful, inside and out. Who knew that was possible for a guy! He was such a good person, he cared about more than appearance, he was funny, sweet, romantic, happy, and not to mention gorgeous in a way that wasn't exactly high-school-hottie or jock or even college guy sophisticated. He was just beautiful. I was in love with him. Completely, head over heels, middle school dream in love. But somehow I knew I couldn't just jump into a relationship with him. Not that I hadn't known him for a while, I just wasn't ready yet. I had been through so much, and I wasn't over it yet. I wanted him to be my comfort-food-friend for a while longer, and then I would build off of that. After all, everyone knows that the best relationships come from best friends, (or so I've heard.)
The next day Tyler was once again waiting for me outside of my driveway. "Morning, madamoiselle."
"Top o' the mornin' to you too, sir," I replied. He laughed. I got into the car and he changed the song on his iPod to Hey Juliet by LMNT. He started singing along to the song and I laughed. I started paying more attention to the lyrics as he continued to the chorus and started using hand motions, pointing to me and then himself at 'you and me could run away', and 'I wanna be your Romeo'. He continued using the hand motions, singing loudly and surprisingly well. I tried to keep laughing, but the lyrics were making me feel faint. I felt like he was aiming them at me, telling me he loved me and he wanted me to love him back. Right as I started to get deeper into thought about this, he put his head back and yell-sang, "HEY JULIET!" I burst out laughing and he didn't stop as we pulled into the school parking lot. By the time we parked, Tyler was laughing and breathing heavily, I was doubled over laughing, and everyone was staring with wide eyes. Right as they were about to stop freaking out about him driving me to school every morning, he had to belt Hey Juliet as we pulled up and get everyone's attention again. Great. It didn't ruin my mood, however. I kept smiling as Tyler helped me out of the car, slung my backpack over his shoulder along with his own, and casually draped his other arm around my shoulders. Partially to mess with people and partially for my own sake, I placed my left hand in his. He looked at me happily and curiously and my smile simply grew wider. He laughed for no reason and we walked past all the staring people.
Lunch was something that would have been incredibly embarassing for me earlier in the year, and probably for everyone else at our table. However, now that Tyler had been with us, we couldn't do anthing but laugh histerically. Tyler had his iPod on and was singing loudly to Dirty Little Secret by the All-American Rejects, even though no one else at the table could hear the actual music. Even Selena was laughing. It was a good thing he actually had a good voice, or that experience would have been very unpleasant. He took my hand at the chorus and sang to me, "I'll keep you my dirty little secret. Don't tell anyone or you'll be just another regret, just another regret, hope that you can keep it my dirty little secret, who has to know?" I didn't know whether to laugh or pass out. I ended up just sitting there, wide eyed. It would have been incredibly awkward if Tyler hadn't noticed that I wasn't laughing and moved on to the next verse. I started laughing again, but I felt like I was going to throw up and Tyler kept throwing me little nervous/excited glances. What was I supposed to make of all this? What was he supposed to make of all this? What is it with music and making people get emotional and confused?!

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment