Sunday, August 30, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 26

I pulled out of the little parking lot and started to drive over to the party store. My phone rang and I flipped it open. "Hello?" I said as I pressed the speaker button and set my phone down on the dashboard. "Ang, babe, its Selena." I turned the car abruptly as I almost missed a turn. "What's up Selena?" I asked as Milly muttered something about my 'reckless driving'. "I was wondering if I could invite a few of my friends from another school in town?" Selena asked. I smiled widely, "Sure!" I said, "The more the merrier!" I pulled into the party supply store and said, "I gotta go Selena...tell your friends its a pot luck."
"Its a pot luck?"
"No. But tell your friends it is anyway," I said with a smile as I got out of the car. Selena laughed, "Will do."
I dropped Milly off at her house and waved bye. Jake got into the front seat and we drove home. "So how big is this party gonna be?"Jake asked. I shrugged, "We'll see."
"Did you tell mom and dad that?" he asked. I laughed, "Mom and dad will be fine with this. They're fine with anything that keeps them occupied." He nodded, "Yea, I guess you're right." We pulled into our house and parked the car in our garage. I told my parents about my party for Tyler and, just as I expected, they were all for it.

I woke up on my birthday and climbed out of bed. I smiled at the sunshine pouring in through the window. School went by slowly, everyone kept saying happy birthday to me, even though I told no one it was my birthday. Then after school, Angela asked if I could come over. I suspected something, and as she opened the front door to her house, a ton of kids from our school (and not from our school,) jumped out from behind the couches and counters and out of closets. I smiled widely and wrapped my arms around Angela. I twirled her around in my arms and she laughed. We walked into the kitchen and Milly, smiling ear to ear, pulled out a cake. Everybody started singing and I started laughing. At first Angela smiled, but then when she saw me double over laughing, she asked, "What's so funny?" I pointed to the cake and she covered her mouth as she looked and saw that it said, "Trace". She opened the card, scanned it, and slapped her hand to her forehead. "I must have accidently gotten the cake of that girl who was in front of me!" she said with a laugh. "Then she must have gotten yours," I said with a laugh. She nodded. I looked at the card and saw that it read, "Happy Birthday Trace! Love, Lola". "That's ok, I'm sure it still tastes good!" Jake said. Angela laughed and nodded in agreement.
As we all chowed down on cake, I was introduced to an endless amount of people from some other school in our town. Then Selena introduced me to a girl named Amy, who said she knew who the cake we had gotten belonged to. She laughed and said, "Lola used to be my best friend, but we stopped hanging out when she started going out with that freak Trace." I rose one eyebrow. "Is he nice?" Angela asked. Amy rolled her eyes, "He's a total dork. I can't believe she chose him over us."
"I can understand that," Angela said. "EXCUSE ME?!" Amy asked in disbelief. I laughed as Angela put up one hand and said, "I didn't mean it like that! I meant I understand because I think that she's really in love with him, even if he is a dork." Amy rolled her eyes again, "Whatever," she said. She smiled and mixed in with the rest of the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment