Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 21

I walked over to the speakers and, upon request, turned up the speakers' volume so that Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger by Daft Punk could be heard across the entire neighborhood. Not that anyone would complain since the whole street was in our house dancing to the music that way out of most of their time periods. The teenagers had huddled in one corner and were all dancing together to avoid mixing in with the adults. I stayed away from the adults AND the teenagers. My mom walked over to me, wrapped her arm around my shoulder, and said, "Honey, its so great to be home! Good work keeping the house so clean!" She smiled brightly as she admired the perfectly clean house...or, the house that used to be perfectly clean before my parents decided to throw themselves a welcome home party. Honestly, who throws a coming home party for themselves? It was especially strange since they were only coming home from a vacation. Once again, my parents were putting everything they had into entertaining themselves to keep their thoughts away from their recently deceased daughter. Interesting way to mourn, if you ask me. Suddenly the door burst open, letting in the light from outside into the dark living room. I was surprised, I thought everyone in the neighborhood was already there. Then as I walked closer to the door, I saw Milly walk in and quickly find Jake. Close behind her entered Tyler, who immediately started dancing. He was a pretty good dancer. Much better than all the other people in the room who really needed to stop before they broke every mirror in the house. "Tyler!" I called out, turning away from my mom. "Who's Tyler?" I heard my mom ask someone as I walked over to him. "He moved in recently a couple of streets down," the woman replied. Not very recently, actually, but if she had said 'a while ago' or 'earlier in the year', she would be entering the danger zone. The danger zone: bringing up how freaking long my parents left Jake and I alone at home. Ever since Dustin's death, my parents forgot how to be parents. Never making dinner for their kids before leaving for vacation and expecting Jake to get food for himself: mistake number one. Leaving two teenagers at home for the majority of the school year: mistake number two. Throwing a block party with music that I have on my iPod and inviting all the old people: mistake number three. Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne started playing and I cringed. I had to get out of that room before my insides ended up on the floor. I ran up to Tyler, hurriedly said, "I'm so glad you came!" and dragged him up to my room.

I laughed, "Hey, what's your rush?" I said as Angela closed her bedroom door and flopped down on her bed. "Are you crazy?" she asked, not sitting up, "That was the most frightening experience of my life!" I laughed again, "Yea, that was pretty creepy." I flopped down next to her and she turned on her side to face me. "Can you believe my parents?"
"They are a little weird..."
"A LITTLE weird?! They left Jake and I home alone here for the majority of the school year and then came home and threw a block party with MY iPod!" she almost-yelled, clearly exasperated. I laughed, "Yea, they're definitely different."
"You don't know the half of it."

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment