Sunday, September 6, 2009

Juvy part 3

That night, as I lay on my top bunk, (apparently the girls were actually fighting over bottom bunks,) I imagined Juvy laying in a bed above my head, his short brown hair brushing against his pillow and his sea foam green eyes hiding behind his eyelids. Six girls in my cabin got out of bed and, giggling quietly, hurried out of the cabin. One of the girls, Shelby, asked me if I wanted to come. I thought about it for a second and then nodded. We all ran down to the lake with our arms hooked and took our clothes off before slipping into the freezing water. It was strange how all of us got along so well. I came to Juvy expecting to beat up every night and to get mixed in with fight s with the guys. But, strangely enough, the guys hardly ever fought and the girls in my cabin hadn’t physically fought since the day we arrived. I pulled myself to the lake floor and scooped up some of the soft mud in my hands. I rubbed it on my stomach and my arms and dropped back down into the water to rinse off the muck. We heard a handler’s footsteps walking over to the lake and all fell silent. Luckily it was too dark for him to see us and the handlers didn’t carry flashlights because they only used solar electricity at this stupid place. We waited until he was a safe distance away and then we all hurriedly put our clothes on and started to run back to our cabin. Just as I was about to run into the cabin doorway, I noticed someone sitting behind the cabin with a book and a flashlight. I told the girls to go ahead without me and I headed behind the cabin. I found Juvy sitting on a bench holding a flashlight and A Tale of Two Cities. “Where’d you get that stuff?” I asked, not wondering what he was doing sitting on a bench outside at midnight. “Good evening to you too,” he said,putting his book down. I sat down next him and he put his arm up in the air with a question on his face. “Go ahead,” I said. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder. I put my head on his shoulder and we just sat there, two complete strangers sitting on a bench outside of a Juvy cabin at midnight.He tenderly played with my hair with his other hand and stared into my eyes. “You have pretty eyes,” he said. “So do you,” I replied. We stared into each other’s eyes for another minute before he said, “I take that back. You have beautiful eyes.” I smiled, “And vice versa.”

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment