Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Beautiful Motion of Life entry 1

Its after hours. WAY after hours. And I am still at the office. I groan and and smack my head down on top of the huge stack of papers on my desk that have accidently been sent to me in Swahili. Honestly, how do you accidently translate a huge stack of papers into Swahili?! Why would you do that in the first place? I feel a kiss on my forehead as Gabe says, "Go home."
"But what am I supposed to do about this?" I ask, hopelessly motioning towards the papers. He sighs and says, "Cassandra can take care of them." I look up at him and say, "You know, letting me go home and forcing Cassandra to take care of this because of your affections for me isn't very fair." He smiles weakly and says, "Yes it is. Cassandra doesn't want to go home, she said her boyfriend's friends are camping out at her apartment and she'd rather scoop up elephant dung then go home."
"Ew!" I shriek. I immediately grab my backpack and stand up. Gabe pushes a strand of my hair behind my ear and kisses me lightly on the lips. "See you tomorrow, beautiful," he says. I blush, wave, and leave the office. It amazes me how the streets of this town are still covered with cars at 2:00 in the morning. Yes, I did say 2:00 in the morning. Cassandra's apartment must be REALLY bad.
I hale a taxi and step out in front of my apartment complex. I look up at the huge building and breath deeply. I hate home. I hate work. I even hate the cinema here. The only good thing in this town is Gabe. I push the big glass revolving door and walk up to the check in table. John yawns and says, "Evening, Lauren." I wrinkle an eyebrow and say, "My name's not Lauren." He nods. "It is now," he says, handing me my key and taking a big chug of black coffee. I watch him wince as the thick goop slides down his throat. "Honestly, John, I don't know why you don't just go to Starbucks. The coffee machine here is way past its golden age." He waves off my comment with his left hand and says, "Too expensive." I role my eyes and ask, "Why is my name Lauren now?" He widens his eyes and says, "What are you talking about?" I role my eyes again and say, "They should really take that 'open twenty four hours' sign down. You're worthless at night." John yawned, waved me off, and said, "Night, Lauren."
"Night, John. I'll go tell your fiance that you're leaving her for the Starbucks boy." I watch as John's eyes widen. "I'm engaged?" he asks. I laugh and step into the elevator right before the doors close.
I step onto my floor and pull my briefcase up above my head. I swing it against Peter's door and it makes a loud 'BAM!' "Go away SAM!" he yells. I laugh and unlock my apartment. I close the door behind me and throw my briefcase on the couch. Mocha looks up at me with one eye and goes back to sleep. "Nice to see you too, dog," I say as I walk over to my closet and change into the long sleeved long legged silk Victoria's Secret pajamas my sister gave me for my birthday. I sigh and walk into my bedroom. I turn on the light and find Genie lying on my pillow. I glance at my window and see that its open. I sigh and say, "Okay, Genie, you win. You can sleep here tonight. But that's my pillow." I pick up the orange and white polka dot cat and put her down on the big armchair that faces the window. I turn the lights off and climb into bed, but after fifteen minutes of listening to Peter's music next door, I know that I won't be able to fall asleep. I sigh, get out of bed, flip my bedroom light on, and stare at Genie, dead asleep. I envy her. I walk out of my apartment and walk right into Peter's, unlocked, as usual. "Your music sucks," I say as I walk over to his iPod speakers. He opens one eye, sees me, smiles, and says, "Hey beautiful." I search his iPod for a good album and finally find the latest Black Eyed Peas album. I look at him and say, "You're a loser. Your apartment is disgusting, your music is awful, and the only female in your life other than your mom is me, and I have a boyfriend." He smiles widely, "I love you too." I roll my eyes, throw a couch cushion at him, say, "Goodnight loser," and lock his door. I walk back to my apartment and finally get to sleep.

© 2009

2 comments:

  1. whos the dude she lives with? nice lauren. haha.
    -lolo

    ReplyDelete
  2. She doesn't live with him, he lives in the apartment next to hers.

    ReplyDelete