Monday, September 28, 2009

The Elegance of a Death Whisperer Part 2

Charles

"What was that about?" Sadie asked. I shook my head, "Don't ask me. I honestly don't understand what's going on here."
"Dude, this girl is weird. Maybe you should just stay away from her. She looks like bad news to me, man," Jason said as he plopped down on my couch. "Shut up, Jason," I grumbled as I sat in front of the fire and rubbed my hands together. Addie shook her head and said, "I don't know, Charles. Jason has a point. When you fall, you fall hard. And no one wants to fall hard for some psycho freak." I half-smiled into the fire as I said, "Its too late now."
Katie

I walked into school the next day feeling extremely paranoid. It was like at any moment the death whisperer that attacked Jamie would jump out at me. Obviously, that was totally impossible since I was sitting in a classroom with extremely bright fluorescent lights and the whisperer wasn't even after me, but I was still freaked out. "You ok?" Charles whispered. I jumped at the faint sound. I took a deep breath in and said, "Yea. Sorry, I had a rough night." He nodded, "Yea. You did." I smiled at him. His blue eyes lit up at my smile. "Hey, you wanna get some dinner with me tonight?" he asked quickly. My eyebrows raised. "Um...sure." Dinner with Charles. This should be interesting.

Charles
I pulled into the Ruby's parking lot. Katie looked shocked. "Here?" she asked in surprise. I laughed, "Its not exactly five star, but Addie and Sadie work here." She nodded, "I wasn't expecting five star, its just..." I looked at her as her expression changed to one that I had never seen before on anyone. I thought maybe it was something only death whisperers could do or something. She shrugged and the weird expression cleared, "I don't know. I just like this place, I guess." I smiled, "Well then, you're in luck. This one's on me." She laughed and stepped into the small fifty's style restaurant looking like she was born there.
"Charles! You brought your girl!" Sadie said excitedly as she roller skated quickly over to us. "Hi," Katie said confidently. "What's up?!" Jason yelled as he hurried over to us. I laughed, "Jason, do you ever leave?" He looked at me like I was crazy, and then said, just to justify his expression, "You crazy? My girl works here, man! Free food and extra time with my girl! Why would I ever leave?" Katie laughed loudly and everyone smiled. You can't help but smile when a death whisperer laughs. Especially this one.

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment