Thursday, September 24, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 34

Her eyes were wide and her mouth was open. "Y-you-you're moving?" she whispered. A strange filled sensation went through my body as I heard her ached voice. But I was also filled with sadness as I took in her just-got-out-of-bed hair, outfit, and face. Beneath her eyelids was smeared with black from make up she had been wearing the day before. Her long black hair was tangled but still looked beautiful as it messily flew about her face from the morning breeze. She was wearing a big T-shirt that said "Class of 06" in big red letters and had signatures all over it. She had on purple pajama shorts that barely showed under the long shirt. "Come in, come in," she said, waving me in and closing the door behind me, looking like the mother of the girl with cancer in that movie scene where the boyfriend shows up at the girlfriend's house right after finding out about the girl's disease.

My pulse was going at at least a hundred miles and hour, I'm sure. The air had drained out of my body. "Go, sit on the couch," I said as I closed the door behind him. He sat down and watched as I slowly made my way to the couch and sat down very straight next to him. "Um..."
"Just give me a minute to process this," I said. He half-smiled. "How far are you going to be from here?" I asked. He paused and looked at me before he said, "Its a few hours by car." I took a deep breath in and closed my eyes. "Ok," I whispered. I stood up, "Let's go tell Jake."
I was surprised by Angela's reaction. She did lose her breath for a second, but then she just
moved on. She knocked on Jake's door. "COME IN!" he yelled over the blasting music that I didn't recognize. She opened the door and walked over to Jake's computer, pressing the space bar and silencing the loud music. "Hey! I was listening to that!" Jake yelled in an irritated tone. "Tyler's moving," she said bluntly. Jake looked at me and smiled sadly, "Nice knowin' ya, dude." Angela rolled her eyes, "And Milly's going with him." Jake blinked. Once. Twice. Three times. He looked at the floor, "Milly's moving?" I felt bad for him. Milly was an amazing girl, and I didn't blame him for falling for her, which he clearly had. Angela nodded sadly. He looked up at the poster of Green Day on his wall and shrugged. "Whatever," he said, "Its not like I knew her that long. And we're not going out or anything." He looked up at Angela as if asking her for assurance that what he was saying was true. Angela shook her head, "I'm sorry Jake." He shrugged again, "Whatever. Turn my music back on when you leave, will ya?" Angela sighed, pressed the space bar again, and closed Jake's door behind us. "He didn't take that well," she said sadly. I looked at her curiously and she continued, "After Dustin...well, its just not really good for him to lose someone right now." I nodded my head like I understood, but I was really confused. Hadn't Dustin just moved out? I mean, sure, it was probably sad when she left for whatever reason, but guys aren't really known to be particularly emotional. So what was really going on with Dustin?

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment