Friday, September 4, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 30

We made sure they weren’t looking before we got back onto the trampoline. I felt kind of weird laying on someone else’s trampoline in someone else’s backyard, but Tyler was laying next to me, so it didn’t matter. I stared up at the sky and watched as the clouds moved along slowly. I felt a slight tug on my head and watched Tyler from the corner of my eye as he played with my hair. I didn’t know if he saw that I was watching or not, but I didn’t tell him to stop. His blue eyes were sparkling as he wrapped my long hair around his finger and pulled strands out, staring at them as the sun hit them. I was once again filled with the urge to say, “I love you.” He noticed me watching and dropped my hair. I smiled at him and he smiled back. We got off the trampoline and drove back to my house. “See you later,” Tyler said as I closed the car door. I smiled at him and nodded, knowing that I couldn’t get words to come out of my throat because it was so full of the air that was supposed to be flowing through the rest of my body


As I pulled out of her driveway, I took one hand off the wheel and smelled it. I felt like a freak, but I could still smell Angela’s hair on my finger and a tingle went through my whole body.


I walked into the restaurant wearing a long light pink dress with lace at the bottom and no sleeves. I looked around and found Tyler sitting at a table for four looking through a menu. “Party of how many, ma’am?” a waiter asked me. “Oh, I’m with him,” I said, pointing to Tyler. The man nodded, “Of course. Enjoy your time here, miss.” I smiled at him and headed over to the table. “Hi,” I said breathily. He looked up at me and smiled, “Hi.” I sat down and asked what looked good on the menu. “Not much,” he said, “but you look beautiful.” I blushed. “You don’t look so bad yourself,” I said. “Thanks,” he said with a smile. Then, with excitement in his eyes, he said, “I’m really excited to eat with these people. Its like an episode of some show on ABC.” I laughed, “You can say that again. I don’t know what Amy was talking about, I think Trace is really cute. He doesn’t look like a dork.” Tyler blushed slightly when I called Trace ‘cute’. “They’re a nice couple,” he said. I nodded with a smile as I imagined them standing next to each other hand in hand. Trace and Lola walked up then, and we all greeted each other with hellos and smiles. We ordered our food, (Tyler was right, not much sounded good,) and then started talking normally. “So…you guys are dating, right?” Lola asked Tyler quietly. I blushed as Tyler said, “No,” with a sad expression. Everyone was silent. “What about you and Trace?” I asked, trying to break the awkwardness. “Um…yeah…we’re together,” Lola said. She didn’t sound convinced. “We are? Is that a yes?” Trace asked excitedly. I looked at them with a confused expression. “No…its not a yes. I just blurted it, its kinda’ a habit.” I looked over at Tyler, he looked at me, and we sent each other a message through our eyes saying, “Um…what’s going on?” Lola burst out into laughter. I smiled, “That laugh! It reminded me of…” I imagined Dustin laughing at me just before her death when I was whining that she cheated in the card game. My eyes filled with water and I stood up saying, “I’m going to use the restroom.” I started to rush over to bathroom and Tyler ran after me. “Hey! What’s wrong?” he asked, wrapping one arm around my shoulder. Should I tell him? I didn’t know why I was keeping it a secret from him. There was a part of me that desperately wanted to tell him, but my other half overpowered it and I said, “Nothing. I just got something in my eye. Excuse me.” I hurried off to the bathroom as Tyler said, “Oh,” obviously not believing me.

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment