Monday, September 7, 2009

The Beautiful Motion of Life entry 4

I walk up the stairs and sigh heavily. Middle school. Again. Will it ever end? Luke bumps me hard and says, "Welcome back, loser. I would say we missed ya', but I'm not a liar." He laughs and walks away from me. Great. What a perfect way to start my first day back. I see Mindy across the lawn. She laughs and pushes her hair behind her her ear. I sigh. She's gorgeous. I sigh again, for a different reason. I really need to get over Mindy. I walk over to the main office and ask if anyone took my locker. "Last name, please?" a woman at a computer asks. "Joven."
"Grade?"
"Eighth," I say sadly. She nods, "Ok, Mr. Joven. Your locker is still yours. Same combination."
"Thanks," I mutter as I leave the office. Great. Well, there's goes my once chance at coming back to find some change after switching schools for half the school year. I walk over to my locker and turn the lock. I open it and hundreds of "Welcome back, freak!" cards fall on me. I sigh. Well, at least I'm remembered. "Like your welcome present?" Mindy asks me as she walks over with her little group of friends. I roll my eyes and say, "Real mature." Ugh. It really sucks to like the girl who tortures you. "Wasn't me," she says innocently, acting hurt for being accused. "Who was it?" She smiles cruelly, "My boyfriend." I roll my eyes. Of course it would be Luke. I should have known. "Well, its nice to know that he cares," I say, narrowing my eyes at her. She looks guilt-stricken. That's a first. "I'm really sorry Luke's always being a jerk to you," she says. I roll my eyes, "Yea, sure you are." I put my lunch in my locker and slam it closed. "Listen, Mindy, you and your boyfriend are really getting on my last nerve. What did I ever do to you?" I say. She opens her mouth to produce a comeback, but I put my hand up. "Just leave me alone." I turn and walk away. And my parents wonder why I hate school.
I walk into my History class and take a seat in the back of the room. A girl I haven't seen with very short bright purple hair walks into the classroom late and drops all her books and papers on the way to her desk. I jump out of my seat, helping her collect the papers, feeling incredible pity for her since I know what it feels like to be in her shoes. "Thank you," she says as I hand her a math book, a science book, and a pile of loose papers. She takes them from me, pushes her hair behind her ear with one hand, (her hair immediately slips out again,) and smiles weakly at me. She has big blue eyes which are widened as she stares at me for a second and then hurries to her seat. I slip back into my desk feeling shocked. Not only am I no longer the main attraction, but it just so happens that the new main attraction is very attractive!
I walk to my next class with a large frown and a furrowed brow. "Is she your girlfriend?"
"Its perfect! Its like the head cheerleader and the quarterback, except its the new to arrive freak and the old returning freak!"
"Were you guys gonna kiss right there in front of us?"
"That's disgusting!"
"How long have you guys been together?"
I take off running down the hallway and turn quickly into the art room. "Hi," I say to Mr. Jinks, "Can I eat in here?" he nods sympathetically and turns back to the painting he was working on. I notice the purple haired girl eating her lunch and staring intently at a blank canvas in front of her. "Hi," I say as I walk over to her. She doesn't respond and I notice that she has headphones in. I look at her iPod, sitting on the desk, and see that she's listening to Dear Vienna by Owl City. I look at her for a minute and then tap her shoulder. She pauses her song, looks up at me, and blushes four shades of red. "Um...hi," I say. She blushes a fifth shade. "Hi...I'm so sorry about, um, causing those rumors...!" she says nervously. I can't help but smile as she pushes her hair behind her ears five times, to no prevail, and stutters as she talks. I grab her hand, finally, as she reaches back to tuck her hair behind her ear a sixth time. This time its my turn to blush. Seven shades. She smiles. "I'm Tyler," I say nervously, sticking out my hand. She laughs shyly and shakes my hand, "Ellie. But you can call me Blue Jay." I wrinkle my nose a little bit and then ask, "Can I call you Ellie?" She laughs, "Yea. Go ahead." So far, this day is going better than I thought it would.

© 2009

4 comments:

  1. first u said purple hair then u said blue hair haha. ok i am slightly confused because these 4 entries are all about different people but the same story/book, so are they supposed to tie in together or is it just a collection of random snapshots of people's lives? cuz if its the random snapshot i think u should develop it a little more cuz it was kinda hard to understand although i like the idea
    -lolo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I'll change that hair thing. The entries are for reflections they're supposed to be 'a day in their shoes' type of thing. I'm not going to develop it more, its supposed to be like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. o ok thats gonna be interesting! and also annoying because every entry is a cliffhanger! haha:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol :) Well that's kind of the point. :)

    ReplyDelete