Friday, September 4, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 29

"Yeah...I'm Trace," he said, staring at us with a confused expression. Not every day does a complete stranger come to your back door and come in knowing who lives there. A red head girl with big glasses walked up behind him, and Angela laughed, "Oh my gosh. I can't believe we actually found them." I smiled mischievously at the girl, pointed at her and said, "I bet you're Lola." She peeked her head out from behind Trace. "Yeah...I'm Lola," she said with a confused expression. Angela laughed again and clapped her hands together. Trace and Lola looked at each other. "Are we missing something?” Trace asked as he ran his hand through his hair. I noticed Lola watching his hand move through his hair out of the corner of her eye with an expression that made her look hypnotized. I looked back at Trace and said, “I think we have something of yours.” I handed the envelope to Trace. He ripped the envelope open and read the card. Lola peeked over his shoulder and read it too. She looked up with wide eyes, “You’re Angela!” she threw her hands up in the air excitedly.

“Yes!” I said excitedly. “You didn’t have to come all the way out here just to return this!” she said, looking at me up and down. “Sorry, we kinda’ ate your cake…and threw away your card.” Trace said guiltily as he stared at us with slight fascination. Tyler smiled, “Oh, no worries!” There was a short awkward silence and then I said, “I think I met your friend…” I racked my brain for her name, “Amy.” Trace and Lola’s eyes suddenly snapped up at me like I had just turned on a switch inside of them. “Ex-friend,” they said in robotic unison. “Oh,” I said, feeling sorry that I brought it up. “So!” Trace said in a cheery way, “Do you guys want to hang out today?”

“Sure!” Tyler and I said, also in robotic unison. Lola pulled Trace to the side as Tyler and I entered the house and started looking around, feeling extremely awkward. (Well, I did at least.) I listened quietly as Lola whispered, “This is so weird!” with a laugh. “They seem nice though,” Trace said. “Yeah, they do.”

We talked with them for a little longer and then I suggested that we all go out to dinner at my favorite restaurant in town. (Also the only good restaurant I know in town, but still.) “That sounds great!” Trace said with a smile. We lingered for a minute and then waved and left.

© 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment