Friday, September 4, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 31

While I was in the bathroom, my cell phone rang. I wiped the tears from my eyes, flipped my cell phone open, and said, “Hello?”

“Ang! Its Jake. I need your help with…girl problems,” Jake said from the other side of the phone. I smiled widely. “I’ll be right there!” I said with excitement, and just as I was about to hang up, Jake muttered, “Oh, don’t sound so excited.” I giggled and hurried out of the bathroom, looking like I had just had a random mood swing. I hurried to the table and said, “I’m sorry, I have to go, my brother’s having girl problems.” I winked at Lola and she laughed. “Maybe we can hang out some other time?” I asked. Lola nodded. I grabbed Tyler’s arm and said “Bye!”

“Thanks Tyler. I’ll see you later, ok?”

“Yea, no problem. See ya,” Tyler said before he pulled away from my driveway. I watched as his car disappeared down the road and then I turned to face my house with a sly smile. “Jake?” I called as I stepped inside. “I’m upstairs,” he called down. “Where?” I asked. “My room, DUH,” he said in an irritated tone. I smiled and hurried up the stairs. “Ello, Jakey boy. How can I be of service to you on this fine day?” I asked, holding the ‘i’ longer than was necessary. He rolled his eyes, “Ok: so here’s the thing. I really…really like Milly…” I smiled mischievously. He groaned, “Would you stop with the looks? I need help.” I cleared my face, trying desperately to keep away a smile. “Ok, so anyway, I really like Milly, but she’s like, you know, really emo, and she doesn’t date, I think.” I looked at him with an expression that said, ‘how many times did mom drop you when you were a baby?’ “Who said emo kids can’t date?” I asked. He groaned again, “No one SAID it, Ang! I just don’t think she’s the dating…type.”

“You mean you don’t think she’s the girlfriend type?”

“NOOO! I mean I don’t think she would date me if I asked.”

“Oh,” I said, feeling very confused. “So? What do I do?” he asked, seriously stressed. “Um…ask her out?”

“But what if she says no?”

“…deal.”

“ANGELA!”

“What?! Sorry! Did I say something wrong? Ugh. Dustin was so much better than me at this kind of stuff,” I said with a groan. Jake stared at me and I watched as his eyes filled gradually with water. “Sorry,” I said. I closed my eyes and knelt down next to him. “Jake, listen, I’m gonna try and do my best here.” I breathed in deeply and said, as quickly as possible to ensure that I didn’t mess up slowly and painfully, “If you want to ask Milly out, you should just ask. If she turns you down, its not that big of a deal. Anyway, she’s not going to turn you down, she really likes you. Its really obvious and you’re kind of dumb if you haven’t noticed it.” He smiled slightly at me and said, “You really think she likes me?” I smiled widely back at him, “I KNOW she likes you.”

“Thanks,” he said. I looked down at his brown eyes staring up at me. Milly was lucky to have him like her. I wrapped him in my arms in a big hug and groaned. I laughed as he complained and then I waved and left the room.

© 2009

2 comments: