Friday, September 11, 2009

The Beautiful Motion of Life entry 5

'Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep,' the noise played out in my head and I slowly opened my eyes, thinking it was my alarm clock. The unfamiliar room spun for a minute beofre I was able to see clearly. I looked around and realized I was in a hospital. I looked down and saw an IV in my wrist. Ifelt something on my face and touched it, finding tubes leading to my nose. The beeping continued, a familiar noise but not one that I thought I would ever experience personally. The white-washed walls had pictures on them that I couldn' make out. "J-josh? Josh?" I whispered, filling with fear. There was no one in the room. Wow, who came up with the idea of leading the patient alone in the room not knowing what the heck happened to her? I found a button and pressed it, recognizing it as the button that is used to call the nurse. A woman in srubs walked in. She smiled sadly at me, "You're up, sweetheart. I'm sorry no one was here when you awoke." I shook my head, dismissing her comment. "Why am I here?" I asked. She shook her head, "You don't remember at all?" I shook my head slowly. "You were in a motorcycle crash, you hit your head. That's probably why you can't remember anything." I rose and eyebrow, "I don't ride a motorcycle. Too dangerous." She shrugged, "Apparently you were riding one this time." I furrowed my brow. "What did the motorcylce crash into?" I asked. "A small car, porsche I believe."

"Shame. Are you sure I wasn't in the car?" I inquired. She smiled sadly again. "No, honey, you weren't in the car. The motorcycle driver has been in here all day, he's just gone down to the cafeteria." I tried to rack my brain for the memory of riding a motorcycle with someone, but nothing came. "It was my bike," a warm, familiar voice said from behind the nurse. I heard the door click closed and exclaimed, "Josh!" He smiled sadly at me, much more sadly than the nurse, and said, "Hi baby. I'm so sorry about this." His eyes were welling up with tears, which is a rare and weird occasion for Josh. I waved it off like it was nothing, "Ah, no big deal." He laughed half-heartedly at me and said, "Actually, it is a big deal. You're on life support." My eyebrows raised. "Really? Wow. I don't feel a thing." The nurse hurriedly said, "Its just in case, I think you'll be fine. And its normal not to feel anything at first." I groaned quietly and said, "At first?" She smiled, (yes, sadly,) at me and said, "I'll be right back. You two can catch up."

He lost his smile and frowned deeply. "I'm so sorry, baby. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself." I waved him over and he kissed my lightly before sighing and dropping easily into the chair that had been placed, (most likely by him,) next to the hospital bed. "I love you," I said, "its fine." He groaned, "Its not fine, you're seriously injured Emma!"
"No I'm not, its just few scratches," I said. He looked up and down my body, noting the broken bones and purple-ish bruises. "and a few broken things. No big deal." He laughed lightly, "Always and optimist." I put my hand on my neck and felt the cold chain. I pulled the long necklace out from my hospital gown and held up the dog tag for Josh to read. It read 'optimism'. He laughed, "Like I said."
"I love you," I said with a big smile. He smiled back, "I love you too. Even if I did break your ribs." I laughed and felt myself drifting back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment