Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sienna's Book Reviews #2: Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

*****Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin (published by Square Fish)

This book started with a sentence that was exactly the right thing for an author to start a
book with if they want me to like them:
"Above all, mine is a love story."
And indeed it was. It's going to be hard to write this review without *Spoilers* everywhere. But
I'll do my best.
This book was funny, moving, romantic, tragic, and relatable all at once. When I closed the
book, I wanted to sit down and write my own book about an amnesiac. It made me become
fascinated with them, with the idea of losing all your memories for a given amount of time and
then just being thrown right back into the life you were living before, not recognizing the faces
around you, not being able to tell if that girl is a person who you've known for years or someone
you just met yesterday. It made me think, if I forgot everything from six years ago to now, who
would I know, who wouldn't I recognize, what tragic or joyous events would I be clueless about?
Imagine walking into my room- decked out in Twilight posters- and not having any idea who
the people on the posters are or why they're on my wall. It's a crazy thought. I'm glad it didn't
happen to me, but it really was enjoyable to read about it happening to someone else- to see
who stuck with her, who lied to her, and who she realized she didn't really know at all, even
when *Spoiler alert* her memory eventually came back. I recommend, hands down, read this
book.

My age recommendation for readers:
13+

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment