Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 70

Being a week and a half away from summer wasn't exactly easy for anyone to stand, but I'm pretty sure it was the most difficult for the teachers. I even watched my English teacher stare at the clock for over a half an hour while we sat and read. At one point during the thirty minutes, she noticed my stare and looked down, pretending to be occupied with something, but after about thirty seconds she looked back at the clock again. Tapping pencils and impatient sighs followed me through every hour of the day as I tried to both focus on what was going on in class and debate what decision I should make concerning where we move. By the end of the week, I felt like throwing back my head and screaming, "I WANT SUMMER NOW."
Although I somehow doubt I was the only one thinking this.
I sat in Stephen's Books on Saturday afternoon, my eyes intent on the pages
of Linger as I neared the end, and my cell phone rang in my pocket. I pulled it
out and glanced at the caller id before pressing "accept" and saying, "Hello?"
into the phone with a smile. "Hey!" Tammy's giddy voice replied. "Hey, Tammy,"
I replied, still smiling as I looked back down at my book, staring at the green
words on the page without registering them. "So, how've things been? Did you
work everything out with Tyler?" I remembered that the last night Tammy had
been with me had been the day after I'd confessed to Tyler about Dustin's death.
I bit my lip, "Oh, um, yup. It's all good."
"So are you guys going out yet?" she asked hurriedly. My eyebrows shot up.
"Excuse me?"
"Are you guys going out yet?"
"Tyler and I?"
"No, you and Sean. Yes, Tyler and you."
"Oh, um, no. It's not like that, I mean..."
"Yes it is."
"What is?"
"It is like that." I bit my lip, not sure if I could really argue with that, and said,
"Well, um, he lives, like, seven hours away, you know." Tammy sighed, "Ah, the
tragedy of distance killing love." I laughed and rolled my eyes, and I heard
someone yelling on the other side of the line.
"One sec," Tammy said before the line went muffled and I heard indecipherable
yelling. Then Milly's voice was back, and she said, "Sorry, Ang, I gotta go,
problems in the jean department. I'll call you back, k?"
"Yea, sure. See you later."
"Bye!" and the line went dead.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment