Friday, September 17, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 67

Of course my mom decides to responsible the one time I wish she wouldn't. "I can't make a decision for the life of me," she said to me, "and your sister wouldn't make the decision that's really what's best for this family. So I'm leaving this up to you. I hope you make the decision for everyone."
Great. No pressure, or anything.
I wanted to just say, "Oh, yea, we should move to grandma's neighborhood, it's a really great place," not only because I was desperate to move back to Angela, but also because I did love the area and New York didn't seem particularly practical. But my mom wanted to go to New York, I knew that much. And Milly, I was sure, would end up loving the state, especially NYC. I would be unhappy with either decision- guilty if I went to Angela, miserable if I had to leave her. So maybe I should just ignore my feelings and think of only what was best for my mom and Milly.
Unfortunately, that did not make the decision any easier.

The warming weather made the stuffy little bookstore even stuffier, so that
I found myself constantly fanning myself with pamphlets and emptying out the
water bottles that were kept in the mini fridge in the back room. Despite the
uncomfortable temperature, I came to remember why I had loved working at
the bookstore back in ninth grade. I remembered the day that Dustin came up
to me with the information for the job, giddy and bouncing. I didn't really want
to work at a bookstore, but I also didn't want to sit at home while Dustin got a
job, so I went to work with her. I was always the one who lounged around the
cash register, reading and loving the smell of all those pages, while Dustin
fluttered around, constantly rearranging books, making absurd patterns based
on character interests and the names in dedications rather than in alphabetical
order by author, frustrating customers constantly until Stephen finally put his
foot down and made her put the books back in ordinary order, leaving her only
to entertain herself by trying to memorize the acknowledgements in the back of
books as if they were monologues. I quit the job a while before she passed away,
in the summer before junior year, because I had heard that junior year was the
hardest, and I wanted to focus on school. I was planning on starting up in the job
again come summer, but then Dustin passed, and I didn't have the courage to go
back to the bookstore without her.
Now, though, here I was, sitting behind the cash register like I used to, reading
Linger by Maggie Stiefvater and smiling at the memory of my sister's peculiar
way of working. I had come a long way in the past year. And I had a good idea of
who it was that had helped me do that.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment