Friday, September 17, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 69

For some reason that truly escapes me, cold showers are one of life's most thrilling things to do. They're freeing and shocking and even painful, but they also make you feel a lot more clean than a normal shower does. I walked outside after I had showered and took in a deep breath of the cool Saturday morning air. Jake was still sleeping, my dad had left for work, and my mom left early to go to the gym. I stuck my hands in my pockets and walked to the bottom of the driveway, sitting down on the curb and leaning against the mailbox. I closed my eyes and started humming To the Sky, a song by Owl City that I had found from a movie trailer and been listening to on repeat lately. The wind whistled through my neighbors wind chimes, and I opened my eyes and listened to the tingling for a moment before standing up and walking into the woods.

I sat next to Milly at 10 on Saturday, shoveling cereal into my mouth and watching as she put stencils over a white t-shirt. She set up the letter carefully, her arms set in a way so that I couldn't read what she was spelling out, and then she took her can of spray paint and sprayed over the whole top of the shirt. When she was finished, she removed the stencils and turned to smile at me. I looked at the shirt and read the words, "This too shall pass" a quote I had heard many times before. I rose an eyebrow and smiled back at her. It looked so strange, so out of place. Those particular words just didn't seem like the type of words you spray paint on t-shirts. But hey, what did I know about these things?

I walked into the kitchen and paused, seeing Jake chopping carrots violently with a steak kinfe. I rose an eyebrow and walked up, saying quietly, "What are you doing?"
"Making salad," he grunted. Both of my eyebrows shot up, "Um. That's what you call that?" Jake spun at me and I jumped back, afraid he might accidently stab me. "Shut up, or I'll make you make it."
"I'm fine with making it. I like making salad."
"Shut up. Go away." I whistled, "Sheesh, someone's in a bad mood."
"How extremely observant you are," he shot back sarcastically. I narrowed my eyes, "Ok, Jake, clearly something's up. What are you all worked up about?"
"Nothing," he grunted.
"Something," I protested.
"No."
"Yes."
"Shut up!"
"Not until you tell me what." He groaned and finally smacked the knife down on the sink and spun towards me. "Milly just called, Ok? And she said there's a good freaking chance that she's moving to New York. That's all, Ok? Can you leave me alone now?" My mouth fell open and my eyes widened in shock. Jake turned back to his poor carrots and I stumbled to the couch sitting down and staring at the wall in front of me. Tyler and I had finally gotten past the one thing that was really keeping us apart. Right now, the only thing keeping us from each other was physical distance. This didn't seem like that big of a deal, especially when compared to the other problems we worked out. But physical distance could become a problem.
When it was all the way across the country.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment