Sunday, September 12, 2010

Devyn part 15

Bubba was really acting weird lately. Antsy, almost, and always referring to Devyn and I as "kids", acting like he was our dad. He even once referred to himself as "daddy". He came into Jacob's one day and was sitting at one of the little tables, bouncing his leg up and down, and I tried to ignore him for a while until it finally became too much. I stepped around the counter and walked over to his table, refilling his coffee cup and saying, "Ok, Bub, I let you get away with this ADD act for a while, but now you've really got to tell me what's up. What's going on, is something wrong?" Bubba shook his head quickly and took a sip of his newly relinquished coffee, gazing out the window at the parking lot with far-off eyes. He was driving me crazy! "Bub," I said, "If something's going on, you really should know that you can tell me anything. I'm your best friend, Bub. It's me, Justin. Kid." He looked up at me, now, finally, and let out a long sigh before saying in a hurried tone, "Kassie's pregnant." I blinked, confused for a moment. "Excuse me?"
"Kassie. My sister. She's pregnant, with that slime-ball George's kid." I let this process for a moment, then tilting my head and saying, drawn out, "Ok?" I shook my head, confused as to what was so crazy about this. "They've been married for two years, Bub. I thought you were over the whole my-sister-married-a-slime-ball thing already." He groaned and put his hands in his hair, plopping his head down on the table shaking it. "I was! I was totally fine with it, I'd gotten used to it, everything was just fine. But I just can't deal with the thought of more, miniature versions of that idiot walking around! And I can't deal with the fact that there will be little slime-balls walking around that are my sister's kids, my nieces and nephews!"
"Is she having twins?"
"No."
"Then it's only one..."
"It doesn't matter! This is just the beginning! And besides, even if it was just one, it would be one too many people with that guy's genes coming into this Earth!"
"Bubba," I said, "I think you might be over-exaggerating this. George isn't that bad of a guy. And you don't know that his kids will be exactly like him."
"They'll have his genes. And they'll be raised by him." I shook my head, "Yes, but they'll also have Kassie's genes. And be raised by her." I smiled at him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "All I'm saying is that I think you should have a little more faith in your sister that she can still make good kids, even if they are risen partially by a guy that you think is a slime-ball."
"I have no faith left for her. She's the one who married the jerk." I tried to stifle a laugh as I said, "Get out of here, Bub. You need to get out, get some fresh air, calm down. It's all gonna be Ok." He shook his head, sighing as he stood up and grabbed his jacket. "You say that now," he started, "but you'll know my pain when you have to help me babysit the little demons."
"Bye bye, Bubba."
"Gmph."

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment