Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Devyn part 3

"Um, hi, Erik, I was just calling to, uh...well, I think I might have maybe left my...pen..or um, my, journal- at your house. I mean, its mostly empty, but, I just...kind of want it back. Ya, its kind of cheap and I haven't really written anything in it, but you know, it was a gift...kind of. And, uh, so, yea, I was thinking maybe I could stop by and, you know, pick it up...or...uh...you could, you know, drop it off here, or something. I guess you should just call me back...my number's probably on your caller id, but I don't know if you know how to find the caller id thing in your landline, so I should tell you my new number, probably. Ok, its 131-"
"BEEEEEEP."
"Crud." I filled the entire capacity of the message. Great, that's a perfect desperate ex-girlfriend for you. I sighed and put my phone back on the hook. I sat down, sighing, and picked up my coffee, taking a long sip. I glanced over at the phone and then looked away. I glanced again. I glanced a third time. "Ok," I said out loud to myself, "I need to stop. He's not going to call back. I should just get up, go downsta-" The phone rang. I lunged for it. "Hello?" I practically screamed into the receiver. "Jeez, someone had too much red bull today," Devyn said in his usual tone. I heard him sip his own soda on the other side of the line. I sighed, "Hey Dev."
"Hello."
"Hi."
"You're expecting a call."
"What makes you say that?"
"From Erik."
"What? Why would you think-"
"He's not going to call, Justin." I sighed. I knew he was right. How he knew what I was thinking, I would never know, but I knew he was right. "Yea. I guess you're right."
"As always. So anywho, I was thinking maybe you would want to go to the mall with me and-"
"You? The mall? That sounds iffy."
"I was going to say and Annie, if you would have let me finish."
"Why would I do that?" Devyn chuckled, "Alright, I can't handle this psycho duck without you. Meet us at the Promenade in ten."
"Psycho duck? Where'd you come up with that?"
"See you, goose."
"See you, turkey."
"Gobble gobble."
"Quack."
"Geese don't say quack."
"Turkeys don't say gobble."
"Yes they do."
"Nuh-uh. They make this weird noise that sounds kind of like this 'aowuh'!" I hollered the random turkey-like noise that came out of my throat and Devyn laughed, "How do you know what turkeys sound like?"
"I don't. I just made that up."
"Freak."
"See you in a minute!" I smiled and hung up. I could always count on Devyn to loosen up a moment.
"Justeo, Justeo, wherefore art thou, Justeo?" Devyn said, putting his hand on his heart and raising his eyebrows dramatically. "Shut up."
"As you wish."
"Stop it."
"Why?"
"You're going to make me go crazy, and then I'm going to blow up like a gorilla and you won't want to hang out with me anymore."
"It is true, my good opinion, once lost, is lost forever."
"I hate you."
"What do you have against classic romances?"
"You consider 'The Princess Bride' to be a classic romance?"
"But of course!"
"And you put it on the same level as Romeo and Juliet and Pride and Prejudice?"
"Well, ok, maybe not."
"Why do you know quotes from classic romances anyway? Aren't guys supposed to hate cheesy romances?" Devyn rolled his eyes, "Oh please. Those are NOT cheesy."
"True, but most ordinary guys would consider them to be."
"I am offended."
"By my lack of faith in the male perspective on classic romantical literature?"
"No, that was pure fact. I am offended that you called me ordinary. And romantical is not a word."
"Well aren't you the little genius."
"Why thank you. Honestly, how do you think I got all those girlfriends in high school?"
"Your incredible good looks?"
"I'm flattered, but no. Any girl will go out with a guy who can quote their favorite romances."
"Touche."
Through all this, Annie just stood there, staring at us. When we paused for a minute and glanced at her, she said, "Can we go shopping now?" Devyn smiled, "As you wish."
"Now that's just creepy. She's your sister."
"You are an offense to females all over the world."
"Including yourself."
"Shut up and let's go shopping." I smiled and whispered, (loudly enough for Devyn to hear,) to Annie, "Notice how he does not deny it and then after his non-denial continues to suggest that we shop." Annie laughed. "I hate you. Why did I invite you?" Devyn said with a scowl as we walked. "Because you love me?"
"Because I love you," Annie replied. I smiled and swung my arm around her. Devyn sighed, "Women!"
"Where to first? Victoria's Secret?"
"I'm going to the food court."

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment