Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 43

Talking to Tyler had been refreshing and surprisingly not awkward. But after we got off the phone, I realized we had made no plans to get together. I had sat there staring at the phone for a moment and finally decided that maybe I should give myself some space...some time to get it into my head that (even if he could visit, unlike Dustin,) he wasn't here anymore. I could deal with it.
I had to deal with it.
After giving my mom's paperwork to Mr. Massachusetts and assuring him that I couldn't help him in anyway because I honestly had no idea what the papers said, I hurried down the dangerous stairs, waved to Frank, and left the strange building. As I was driving home, I missed the chance to pass an irritatingly long stop light. I sat there staring at the red light, waiting for it to change, and my phone rang. I put it on speaker and set it on the dashboard. "Hello?"
"Ang?"
"What's up, little brother?"
"Where's mom?"
"Who knows?"
"You don't?"
"Obviously."
"Oh. Well...could you do me a favor?"
"Yea, sure. What do you need?" I watched as the snow piled up on my front window and I sighed as my halfway-broken windshield wipers gave me about ten inches of sight onto the road. "Could you bring my my bag? Its in the living room, I think I left it on the coffee table."
"Ugh. Fine."
"Thanks, sis!"
"Yea whatever, if I get in a crash in this stupid snow storm , I'm totally blaming you for my death." Jake was quiet and I closed my eyes as I realized what I had just said. "Um...ok. You don't have to bring it. Its ok. Just stay home, please."
"Naw, Jake, I'm just being a jerk. I'm already drving anyway, its no problem."
"But you should get off the roads as soon as possible-"
"I'm bringing you your bag, Jake. I'll be fine." He was quiet again, and the light finally turned green. Luckily for me, my windshield wipers decided to start cooperating again after about a block of my driving about four miles an hour. "Alright. Be careful."
"Always am."
"Yea, right." Jake hung up and I chuckled as I reached out and pressed the end button. I swirved dangerously on the snow as I drove over a patch of ice. I gritted my teeth and pulled more carefully into my driveway. The snow wasn't too bad now, but I knew it would get worse, so I hurried into the house, grabbed Jake's bag, and hurried out to the car again.

No comments:

Post a Comment