Monday, January 25, 2010

No Sense (anything can happen) part 5

Delatrix turned away from me, fuming. "Petreus. You may go." Petreus slightly rolled his eyes before separating his arms and walking in long strides towards the door. I watched as he pushed the big, almost-black wood doors open to reveal a long hallway with paintings every six feet. I gasped. Delatrix moved so that I couldn't see past her, and I glared into her strangely blue eyes. "I will take you to the third floor. Noah will follow behind and show you where you will be kept, for the time being."
"Where I will be kept? You make me sound like an animal." Delatrix snorted, "To me, Vanessa, you are nothing but a flea on a mutt." She turned away and pushed the doors once again open. My eyes widened. How could she be so rude? Why in the world could she treat me any differently than everyone else in this place? "Follow me," Delatrix called out. Noah waited for me to start walking, and when I did he followed closely behind. Delatrix led us up a twirling flight of stairs to the third floor. I stepped onto the third floor with Noah behind me, and when I turned around, she was gone. I looked down the staircase, but I didn't see her on any of the many stairs to the first floor. I looked at Noah. "Where is she?" Noah looked at me, "She is very fast."
"Why is everything here so medieval? Why are you all acting like you have special gifts or something?" Noah sighed, "Not gifts. 'Privileges', they call them. Jobs, really." He walked up ahead of me and I looked as his back, completely confused. Nothing seems to make any sense anymore. I must be dreaming.

4 years previous
"This disease seems to be sweeping across the entire continent of Africa, and spreading to the surrounding continents," the man on the news said in his perfectly calm newscaster tone of voice. I rolled my eyes, "Jen, turn that off, will you?"
"But Vanessa! I need to know what's going on in the world!" Jen shrieked. I walked over to the TV and turned it off. "What you don't know can't hurt you," I said to her with a weak smile, ruffling her hair. "This can. Its a disease. It can hurt anyone." I frowned at the dishes I was scrubbing and looked up at the mirror in front of the sink. Peter stared back from behind me. I jumped. "Peter!" I said quickly, swiveling around and turning off the water. "I didn't know you were coming today!"
"Just a check-up," he replied. I sighed, "Peter, really, whatever this strange disease is, I'm sure it hasn't spread here, and never will. The new broadcaster said-"
"Forget the news. You should know by now that they never tell the truth." I closed my eyes, "Jen, why don't you go upstairs?"
"But mom-"
"Now, Jen." Peter just stared at me as Jen ran unwillingly up the stairs. "She called you mom."
"I don't know why she does." He narrowed his eyes. "Listen, Peter, I really think this is unnecessary. All you're going to do is scare Jen, and the disease hasn't even spread to this continent yet-" Peter shook his head. "That's incorrect, I'm afraid. They found it, today, in the blood of at least five Americans. Not everyone has been tested yet, obviously, so we're not sure how far into the continent it has really gotten yet, but honestly, the five that it was discovered in were nowhere near each other. Opposite sides of the country." My eyes widened, "Oh no."
Peter sighed, "Yea, this is a bad one."
"What do you think will happen, Peter?" He looked up at me with something in his eyes that I hadn't seen in a long time. Fear.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment