Friday, January 22, 2010

No Sense (anything can happen) part 4

This room was unlike any other room in the whole...town. "Delatrix," Noah said. A startingly beautiful girl with blonde hair to her chest turned around to face us. Her blue eyes seemed to penetrate into my very being. She had high cheekbones, a slight and perfectly shaped nose, and lips that were thin but not small. Her eyes were large and yet thin and her eyelashes were long. I tried desperately not to gulp. The girl smiled, "Ah," she said, her voice like a river flowing down a rocky valley. She walked towards me, smiling and holding out her hand. Noah took it and kissed it lightly, immediately pulling back as if she had stung him. She smiled at me, her eyes narrowing because of her cheeks going up. "You are Vanessa, correct?" I nodded, my eyes narrowing for reasons in no way related to smiling. "I am Delatrix. And this is Petreus," she said, turning and gesturing towards a tall man with dark hair, dark eyes, and a strongly framed figure leaning against the farthest back wall. He had a perfectly accentuated jaw and his cheekbones were only slightly lower than Delatrix. He wore a black pea coat that trailed to the ground. He bowed his head at me and looked once again at Delatrix, who narrowed her eyes at him and turned back to face me. "What strange names," I said bluntly, crossing my arms. "What do they mean?" Delatrix blinked, "Oh. Well, my mother once told me my name meant 'not what she seems', but I looked it up and found out that she had actually created the name herself."
"And Petreus?"
"Why don't you ask him?" she smiled, seeming to laugh inwardly. I turned to the large man. "Petreus. What does your name mean?"
"Nohing. My father and mother also created it themselves." I nodded and turned back towards Delatrix, who opened her mouth to say something. I interrupted her, turning towards Noah and saying, "I once heard that Noah means peace." He smiled, but Delatrix sighed and said, "I once heard that Vanessa means 'the quiet one'." I turned back to her and furrowed my eyebrows, "I wonder who told you that? I looked it up, and it means 'combination of Van and Esther'." Noah laughed and then covered his mouth and Petreus kept a stern face, but as I looked past Delatrix and into his dark, storming eyes, I saw the slightest of smiles on the tip of the left corner of his mouth, and I was satisfied. I looked back at Delatrix, who had narrowed her eyes to their narrowest extent. "You will not back-talk me," she demanded.
"I won't? How can you be so sure?" Noah put his hand on my shoulder, as if to tell me to stop. I looked back at his warm eyes and saw worry swimming in them. I closed my mouth, but I didn't let my expression fall to fright. I kept my mocking eyes and sarcastic twist of my lips. Delatrix's mouth twitched. "So you are a glitch."
"That's what I've heard."

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment