Sunday, January 31, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 47

"Well, that was-"
"ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS?!"
"Um, I was aiming more towards a word like...'interesting'."
"I hate that word. That word means nothing at all." I laughed, "Ok then, it had a fairly...compelling story, but some of the overall acting was..." I paused. "Interesting, for lack of a better word," Sadie sighed. I laughed and once again put my arm around her shoulders. "I want Swedish Fish. Can we get Swedish Fish?"
"Don't you want me to take you home now? It's pretty late..."
"Well, there's always time for Swedish Fish." Sadie wiggled out of my arm and took my hand, pulling me along as she skipped toward the the grocery store up ahead.
As I drove her home, Sadie turned on the radio and 'Dancing With Tears in My Eyes' by Ke$ha started playing on the radio. "Oh-my-goodness!" she yelped. She turned the radio all the way up, "I love this song!" She started singing along loudly and I laughed the entire drive to her house.
As I drove back to my new house, I knew that I was lucky. Sadie Hawkins: the best distraction a guy could ask for.

I fell asleep leaning against the bean bag Sean was sitting on. I was half-awake as he played with my hair for a minute before getting up, picking me up, and carrying me into the guest room. I opened my eyes and smiled tiredly at him as he pulled the covers up over me. "Good night," he said. I saw tears in his eyes and knew that all he saw was Dustin, but for some reason it made me feel good. Maybe Sean and I needed each other. Maybe Sean was what had been missing in my healing.
Or maybe I was just really tired.
"Good morning," Sean sang as I walked down the stairs, blinking repeatedly to try and wake myself. I smiled weakly and slid onto his couch next to my brother, who was eating a waffle with his hands. "Waffles?" I asked. Sean came up with a plate and handed me a syrup-covered waffle. I smiled, "Mmm."
"Made them myself."
"Such the chef."
"Oh yes, you have to be really professional to figure out the waffle iron." I laughed and took a bite of the warm waffle. "Can I go home now?" I asked after I finished the waffle, carrying my paper plate into the kitchen and sliding it into the trash can that I mysteriously knew the location of, (Ok, how many people do you know that don't keep their trash can under their kitchen sink?) Sean laughed, "In that much of a hurry to leave?" I smiled and nodded. He chuckled and turned off the faucet. He turned to face me, "Well, you have the possibility of leaving," he paused. "But I was thinking maybe you would want to do something with me today." I hid a slight smile, "Like what?"
"The mall?" I paused. "You want to go to the mall?"
"Well, not really, but I thought you might want-"
"No. Nope. No thanks. Something else, please."
"You don't like shopping?"
"Not with specimens of the male species."
"Aw," he laughed, smiling at me, his brown eyes sparkling, (whatever that means.)

© 2010

2 comments: