Monday, January 25, 2010

No Sense (anything can happen) part 6

"I just need to do a quick, simple test. Just one shot, and the results will be almost immediate on my computer," he said, setting down his brief case and his lap top on my kitchen counter. I sighed, "Alright. But just...don't tell Jen what it is you're doing, ok?"
"Alright. Would you like me to do both of you at the same time?"
"Sure. Jen! Come downstairs, honey!" Jen ran down the stairs and Peter had us sit on the couch. "It's just a little shot, Jen," he told my daughter...sister, as he came over to her with the needle. Her eyes widened and mine filled with tears. He quickly poked it in and she shrieked in pain. He took it out and put some sort of pain-killer on her arm, applying a band-aid and smiling at her. "There. That wasn't so hard, right?" Jen frowned at him and looked back at me. "Can I go upstairs, mommy?" she asked. "Yes, of course honey." She ran up the stairs and Peter put a different needle in me. I gritted my teeth together as he repeated what he had done to Jen. He put the band-aid on and walked over to his lap top. I walked into the kitchen, rubbing around the soar spot of my arm, and said, "So?" He was staring at the computer screen intently, seeming to read something over and over again. He pressed a few keys here and there, not looking up at me. I stared down at him. He suddenly looked up, his eyes wide. "What?" I asked, my voice quavering. She shook his head, "I'm sorry, Vanessa. You're both positive."

present day
Noah opened the door to what was apparently to be my room and flipped on the light
switch. "Ok, well...I'll just leave you now, then." I frowned up at him, "What am I supposed to do
now?" He shrugged, "Make yourself at home, I guess." I looked around at the dark, musky
room. It was filled with spiderwebs and dust. "Not likely," I replied, looking back up at him.
He shrugged again and simply stepped out of the room. "What now?" I asked no one in
particular.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment