Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 42

The temperatures in this building were always weird to me. The main room, with the entrance doors that opened; letting in the freezing wind from outside, was warm and pleasant. The next room in, the 'Meeting Room', as it was referred to, (which was full of long desks that could be used for meetings but never were,) was a lower temperature than outside itself, (which was the most likely reason why the meetings always ended up being held in personal offices.) I walked quickly through the meeting room and into the, as I liked to call it, 'Do You Have an Appointment Room', which remained unnamed by the actual owners of the business. (Another thing I didn't understand about this building: the architecture/arrangement. Why wouldn't the Do You Have an Appointment Room be the first room you step into after the the entryway room? So many pointless rooms, in so many strange places, with so many different temperatures. A building I would never cease to marvel over. "Awe," said the assistant whom I knew well by then to go by Frank, but was actually named Francois-Alexander-Lament (first name only.) "Do you have an appointment?" I smiled as my name for the room was proven to be rightfully appointed. "Yes," I said, walking up to Frank's desk and handing him the fat yellow envelope I had carried through the rain to get here. Frank furrowed his brow, "Awe, Angie, its you. Why in the world are you so wet?" He had a tendency to say 'awe' a lot.
"I walked here."
"With no umbrella?"
"Umbrellas are for wimps."
"Not even a hood?"
"My hoodie was in the wash."
"You have only one hoodie?!"
"How many do you have?" I replied, not answering his question. Frank shook his head, 'tisking' me with his tongue. "Alright, Angie. Upstairs, take a left, the first one in-"
"The third row with the clear door labeled 'Massachusetts' even though we're not in Massacusetts because Mr. Massachusetts was unfortunately born into a last name that is also the name of a state. Yes, Frank, I know. Thanks." I smiled and and walked briskly over to the swirling completely glass staircase with no banister. I was careful to look only ahead as I walked up the stairs, knowing that if I looked down and saw the floor directly beneath me through the clear glass stairs I would freak out and most likely trip and fall to my doom.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment