Thursday, January 28, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 46

Sadie was bouncing off the walls by the time we walked up to the theater, "Geez, what are you on?" some guy who had been walking close behind us yelled. Sadie turned around and stuck her tongue out at him. I laughed at her. "Sheesh, some people. Can't I be sugar high without being accused of being drugged?"
"You haven't had any sugar today."
"Ya well...I just get hyper sometimes." I laughed and put my arm around Sadie's shoulders, partially just because of how cool she was, and partially to keep her from literally bouncing off the walls. "There it is!" she called out louder than was necessary. I looked at the large black-wood theater in front of us and gaped. "Wow. That's..."
"Big?"
"Mhm," I replied, staring in awe at the huge theater. One of the large doors with the gold lion head handles was open. It had dark green painted crown molding and about five feet down from the roof there were gargoyles sticking out of the walls. Giant 3-dimensional theater masks hung above the doors. "This is a local theater?"
"Pretty much world-famous, but yea." I just gaped at the theater. "Wow...just wow."
"Come on!" she yelled, grabbing my hand and pulling me up to the doorway. "Where do we buy tickets?" I asked, confused. "Inside." A man in a dark green uniform stood inside a glass booth. His face was dark and he smiled at us.

"What?" he asked, seeming surprised my expression. "Th-that's...Dustin," I said, not able to
let the words 'my sister' escape from my throat. Sean's eyes widened, "You're that Angela?" he
practically hollered. Wow. This guy is a little slow. I nodded. "Holy crud."
"You can say that again."
"Hol-"
"Oh my goodness, you are not seriously doing that." He closed his mouth. I put my face in my
hands. "You were dating my sister?"
"Yea."
"I can't believe she didn't tell me." I felt a loss of tears in my eyes, because usually something
like this would make me bawl, but lately I was just running low on tears. He was quiet for a
second, "She said...she said your mom wouldn't approve."
"So what? That never stopped her from doing anything else." He was silent again. "She..." I
looked at his face as I waited for him to continue, "She also thought you wouldn't approve." I
laughed half-heartedly, "Yea, well, at first sight-"
"I'm not very promising. Yea, I know. She told me that." I laughed. She would. "So what did she
like about you?" He blushed, "Um...she said...she said I excepted her. And she said I wad funny."
I nodded. He sighed, "She told me she loved me." I looked at him, seeing the tears in his eyes.
He hung his head and ran his hands through his hair, "I miss her." Now, finally, tears sprung in
my eyes. "Me too." He looked up at me and got up, coming towards me, and held me in a tight
hug. I wasn't sure if it was to comfort me, to comfort himself, or both, but it helped. He was the
first person I had met so far who really knew what I was going through, who really knew Dustin
like I did, (or so I guessed.) Even Jake, who she hung out with all the time, had probably had
about two really deep conversations with her in his entire life. Our parents seemed just to think
she was some kind of a joke, like she didn't have anything at all serious to contribute to the
world. I had been the one who had talked to her the first time she got dumped, the time she
almost got kidnapped. There to comfort her and scold her when she messed up. And she was
always there for me. I tried to remember if she had ever mentioned Sean, or started to talk
about him and then silenced herself. I couldn't think of anything. I sighed as he let go of me and
laid down on his bed. "How long were you guys together?"
"Almost seven months."
"What?!" I was completely shocked. Dustin usually dated guys for a month at most before
getting irritated with them, that is, if she was dating at all. She had only dated a few guys in her
whole life, saying that relationships were usually a waste of time that ended messily. But seven
months? How had I not figured it out? "I can't believe I never caught on." He sighed, "Yea,
sorry about that." I shook my head, "At least she died in love." He closed his eyes, "I can't
believe she ever thought I deserved her." I smiled lightly, "You must have. She would have
dumped you ages before she...she would have dumped you after dating you for about three
weeks if you weren't." He laughed, "Yea, she was always telling me that our relationship made
no sense. 'I tell Angela everything,' she said, 'I never date someone for more than a month!'" We
laughed and I almost felt her presence with us, smiling.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment