Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Devyn part 9

I sat up in my chair, leaning on my elbows on my deck, and practically hissed into the phone, "Erik. Are you giving me an ultimatum between being with you or keeping my job?" Now, I wasn't thinking about the pain. I wasn't thinking about the dreams I had with his face. I wasn't remembering everything we had or wishing we could continue a future together.
Now, I was just furious.
I could almost hear Erik swallow. "Um, no, that's not exactly what I meant..."
"Forget you, Erik Vincent. I can take you to court for this. I'll sue you," I growled into the phone. Anger was flooding me. I wanted to punch him. I wanted to break something. I wanted to scream. "That's not what I meant, Justin, and you know it. Now, if you'll just listen to me."
"Listen to you! Listen to you! What do you think I've been doing for the last five years of my life, Erik Vincent?! Nothing but that. Listening to you. Pleasing you. Doing just what you wanted, while you went off and rekindled your love with an old flame, leaving me the dirty work of your job, your family, and our relationship. I'm sick of listening to you, Erik. Get someone else to listen. Someone who cares. I quit." I said this all in a voice quiet enough to not be heard by the rest of the office. I was mad, but I wasn't stupid. Getting everyone's attention on Erik and my problems would do nothing but humiliate me. I stood up, looking at my desk. I could always come back for my stuff, I knew that. But I didn't want to. I never wanted to be here again. And, as I looked at my desk, at everything sprayed out on the desk and inside the drawers, I reached out and grabbed three things: my lap top, my purse, and the framed photo of Devyn, Bubba, and I on the day we graduated from college. Sadly enough, those were really the only tings I needed. I walked calmly out of the office and stepped into the elevator, taking me down to my future, away from my past.
"You quit?"
"What was I supposed to do, let him fire me for being his ex?" Bubba put his arm around my shoulders, "Doll face, you need to breath. You know what you need?"
"I have a feeling you're about to tell me," I muttered. "A mani-pedi!" I groaned, "Oh, jeez, kill me now." Bubba frowned, "you don't want a mani-pedi? Bubba will pay!"
"I don't care what Bubba does, as long as he doesn't refer to himself in the third person." I sighed, "I'm gonna go visit Devyn."
"Aw, kid, I don't know..."
"I know it will be awkward. But I don't care. He's my best friend, and I need to talk to him." bubba sighed, "Ok, kid, if you really think that's what's best."
"I know that's what's best."
"Devyn?"
"Do I hear my second-favorite girl in the whole world at the door?" Devyn hollered, and my heart flipped. Devyn. My best friend. My best comforter. He opened the door, "Oh, what's wrong with out princess? Does our princess need some sugar?" He smiled softly at me. He was covered in flower. Annie peeked her head out from the kitchen, "Jesse!" she hollered. I smiled and walked inside.
Devyn looked at the floor as I told him everything. "Do you really think you should have quit?" I blinked, "What?"
"I don't know that it was such a great idea to quit. I mean, what are you going to do now?" I frowned at him, "That was not the response I expected from you." He looked up at me, "What did you expect?" I blushed, thinking of what I really expected. "I don't know. For you to sympathize with me. For you to tell me that it's all gonna be Ok." Devyn frowned, "But it's not, Justin. You quit your job. How are you going to pay for your apartment? Food? Life? Justin, you can't just quit your job and think your life is going to suddenly fall into place." I stared at him. Was this really Devyn in front of me?

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment