Thursday, June 24, 2010

Devyn part 10

"I know that," I started slowly. "Then why did you do it?" Devyn looked frustrated. "I...I mean, what was I... he would have fired me! For being his ex!" Devyn frowned at me, "He never said he was going to fire you."
"It was kind of implied." Devyn sighed, running a hand through his hair. I watched as his hair turned white from flour. "So what are you going to do now?" he asked me. I looked at him. "I don't know. Get a new job." He scrunched his eyebrows, and I saw the Devyn I loved coming back. "What kind of job?"
"I don't know. Waitress. Chef. Astronaut. Movie star." Devyn shook his head with a small grin, "I'm serious, Justin. What are you going to do?" I looked into the kitchen, where the smell of freshly baked cookies was pouring out. "Right now, I'm going to eat a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie made by two of my favorite people in the whole world." I smiled at Devyn and walked into the kitchen.
"You could work with Bubba," Devyn said as we sat in a circle around my dining table later that evening. "Uh uh. Not the way she scares away my customers. No way." I laughed, "Yea, Dev, he's right. I'm not capable of swindling people out of there money." Bubba scoffed and reached over me to the tray of no-longer-fresh chocolate chip cookies I had brought home from Devyn's. "I guess the night club is out of the picture too," Devyn said sarcastically. I laughed outright, "That's for sure. Not in my lifetime."
"Maybe you could be a waitress," Bubba said, putting emphasis on the could. Devyn looked at him and I glared at him. "What! I'm just saying, you know, until you figure out your options. You can't just sit around and wait for a good job to show up. You've got bills to pay." I sighed, "Yea, I guess you're right. Well, who's hiring?"
"There's this little cafe right down the street from my club that's hiring. Jacob's, it's called." I sighed, "Ok. I guess I'll get a job application." Devyn patted me on the back, "It's call gonna be all right." I glared at him, "Oh, now you say it."
The cafe was really adorable. When I walked in, I was welcomed by the warmth of ovens and the smell of freshly baked pastries. Cinnamon, vanilla, gingerbread, and powdered sugar wafted over to me like waves drift onto the sand. Along with all the smells of the kitchen and winter was an abrupt, interrupting smell of pine needles. "Wow," I said in awe as I walked up to the counter, taking in the sweet smells and staring at the endless variations of pastries. "I know," a man behind the counter said with a wide smile. He pointed at my face and added with a look of satisfaction, "I work hard for that reaction." I nodded, my eyes wide, "You do it well." He smiled and asked, "Can I help?" I took in his appearance: tall, almost 6 and a half feet, I would guess, warm brown eyes that matched the cafe in every way possible, thin lips that, as he looked down at the cash register for a moment and his smile faded into a solemn look, seemed to have a little extra skin near the edges rather than being shaped in a perfect half moon, almost like they were formed specifically for smiling. His hair looked like it would normally reach down to his shoulders, but right now it was pulled up in a ponytail with a brown leather band. He had broad shoulders and big hands, and as I noticed the scraps of dough and powdered sugar on his fingers, I wondered how he managed to so elegantly create his treats when his fingers were so big. Everything about him seemed molded to fit right in with the cafe. "I'd like to apply for a job," I said. He looked up at me and blinked, "Oh." He seemed to be caught off guard. "Ok...um..." he turned away from us, hurriedly searching around for something. Finally, he pulled out a stack of papers. "Here's the job application." He shrugged, "Just fill it out. We're not that picky about our workers, at least not until they actually work here." He smiled at me, "You look right for the job. I'm Jacob, by the way. And you are?"
"Justin."
"Justin. Nice to meet you." He smiled and continued, "Well, Justin, have that back here as soon as possible. I should probably..." he motioned slightly towards the customers behind me and I said, "Oh, right, of course. Thank you so much." He smiled, "No problem. See you soon." Devyn and I left the cafe and went back out to his car. "He seems very nice," I said, looking down at the paper in my lap. Devyn closed his car door and pulled on his seatbelt, "He likes you."
"Please. You sounds like my dad."
"No, I'm serious. He'll probably give you the job just because he thinks you're pretty." I grunted rudely, "Well, I won't be making the mistake of dating my boss again, you can count on that." Devyn glanced at me before looking behind him to pull out of the small parking lot. "Uh huh," he replied sarcastically, obviously not believing it. I rolled my eyes, "Devyn, I am offended by how little faith you have in me."
"In some areas, I would trust you with my life. In this particular area, I'd put my money on Tiger Woods getting his wife back before I bet that you won't end up dating that guy." I rolled my eyes, "You're a jerk."
"An honest jerk."

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment