Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Devyn part 7

"I cannot believe this."
"Really unbelievable."
"What has happened to our culture?"
"It's sad, really."
"I mean, I don't hate him or anything, but...really?"
"It's just surprising."
"Yea, most grown men don't listen to him."
"Most grown people don't listen to him."
"I can't get over this."
"How long is this song?"
"The last song was him too."
"Do you think he's gonna make us listen to his whole album?"
"Ouch. I hope not."
"He's not really horrible or anything, but..."
"Yea."
"This is so strange," I said, as yet another Justin Bieber song started playing. Devyn put his cup down, "Yup. We're gonna hear the whole album."
"Argh!" Devyn picked up his phone and started singing along with the kid, "Shawty is a eenie meenie minie moe lover."
"What I don't get is, why do all these rappers and successful artists sing with him? I mean, Ludacris, Usher, Sean Kingston..."
"Can't resist the Bieber Fever."
"Whatcha gonna do?"
"That's what I said."
"You have it too?"
"Got his album on my iPod." I laughed and grabbed a handful of chips from Lenny's dining room table. "Hey, guys!" Lenny said, waving violently from across the room. I smiled and Devyn saluted him before turning to me and saying, "You wanna go?" I smiled and nodded, and he ushered me quickly out of the apartment as soon as we were sure Lenny wasn't watching us.
"I can't believe after all the effort I put into avoiding this place, somehow I always end up sitting right here." Bubba smiled and pushed a drink across the counter at me. I frowned at him and pushed it back. "You know I don't drink, Bubba."
"Yea, I know." He took the cup back and offered it to Devyn who laughed, "Please, Bub, you know I have an even weaker stomach than this one." Bubba took the cup, "Yea, yea, I know. Niether of you drink. The best people in the world for me to give free products to and you don't even drink or like the clothes in my boutique." I laughed and reached over the counter, grabbing a Pepsi. "Ok. You can't blame me for that one. That's a chick store," Devyn said, scrunching up his nose and grabbing my soda from my hand. I tried to grab it back as Devyn continued to Bubba, "The only one you can nag about that is this little lady." I finally got the soda back and I rolled my eyes, turning back to Bubba, "You know that store isn't my style. It's all frill and lace and patterns and pastels. I like simple tops, nice jeans, and cute sweaters." Bubba rolled his eyes, "My store has cute sweaters," he pouted. I rose an eyebrow, "Your store has sparkly pastel sweaters. There is a difference." Devyn rolled his head back, "Can we talk about something else, please? Anything else, really?" Bubba glanced at the clock on the wall, one of the most obvious signs that this club is a dud. "My shift is off in like thirty minutes. Why don't you guys go entertain yourselves for a while and then I'll take you to my place for a movie marathon." I grinned, "Like in high school." Bubba nodded, smiling, "Like in high school." Devyn groaned, "Oh, awesome, because I have been s0 missing high school lately. That's one of those times in my life that I wish I could relive." He bit down on the edge of his-my-soda can and then emptied it out. I glared at him and then reached over the counter to grab another soda.
"Thirty minutes of non sequitur."
"We could go get some coffee," I suggested. "Bubba'll be overdosing us on caffeine
soon enough."
"We could window shop."
"I never understood the appeal of that particular use of time."
"We could stop to rent some movies."
"Bubba owns every movie ever created, plus some others."
"...We could go into my office building and ride the elevator up and down over and over."
"Eh. Not in the mood."
"We could go back in the club," I say in an irritated if-you-have-a-better-idea-spit-it-out
tone of voice. Devyn twisted his mouth. "Let's go for a walk."
"A walk."
"Yes."
"A walk?"
"Yup."
"Like, just walking? Not going anywhere? Just a walk?"
"That would a general definition of 'a walk', yes."
"Isn't that pretty much the same as window-shopping, only minus the looking in windows
part?"
"I suppose it could be looked upon that way by someone narrow-minded."
"Hey!"
"Well! Geez louise, Justin, can we just go for a walk without all the interrogation?" I shrugged,
"I guess so."
"Gosh, I appreciate that."
"You should." Devyn laughed and we walked down the street in silence.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment