Thursday, June 17, 2010

Compatible, In an Incompatible Kind of Way part 3

There was a light so bright there, I was almost afraid of becoming blind. It spilled over the rocks and reflected itself on the water, so that in front of us lay a spectacle so completely breathtaking, I had not the ability to think of anything other than the beauty of it. A gust of wind pulled my hair off my back and stirred my oxygen so that the breaths that came out of me were staccato and forced. Peter took my sweater off out of our bag and cast it over my shoulders, and I pulled my arms through the sleeves as Peter walked ahead of me, the straightness of his shoulders not effected by the bite of the wind that was as cold as the river. I could almost feel the presence of the people who had stood here before me. There words ran through my veins and there steps pounded in my mind. Peter sat down, pulled out his note pad, and clicked his pen.
Sunday I took Peter with my family down to visit my cousins, who lived a couple hours
away. The first time I brought Peter with me to visit relatives, they asked me over and over if
he was my boyfriend, even after I assured them multiple times that he was not. They kept this
up for a few more trips until they finally got the picture. Peter, like me, was always very polite
to my relatives, and responded to whatever questions they asked him as thoroughly as was
necessary in the situation, but he never engaged himself into conversation. Usually we just
ended up sitting next to each other on the couch in silence and listening to the chatter of the
family, creating our stories. Sunday was no different.
It was monday that changed things.
Peter drove me to school and nothing was different about the school from the outside. But
when we walked into the courtyard, we were shocked. There were life size cardboard cutouts of
of Shane West and Mandy Moore in the middle of the quad, movie posters of A Walk to
Remember, and flyers for play auditions taped to every locker and all over the empty wall space
between the lockers. "Hey, Victoria! You should audition!" Peri, a short girl with short hair,
called to me from across the hallway. I shrugged and smiled at her, and Peter grabbed a flyer
off the wall. I watched as he looked over it. He looked up at me and folded the flyer, sticking it
in his bag. I walked next to him to our first period and was surprised by his reply when Samuel
Gordon called out to him, "Peter! You gonna audition?" Sam was smiling widely and sappily
and I was about to roll my eyes when Peter said, "I think so." Sam nodded, smile still present,
"You definitely should! You'll nail Landon." I blinked at Sam. For some reason, 98% of the
student population recently decided that they love the movie A Walk to Remember. Why
they're discovering this now, a number of years after the movie was released, I shall never
know, but somehow they managed to convince the theater department to allow the junior and
senior classes to put on the play. The deal was, we write the script, we get the play. The kids
asked if they could get the movie script and use that, but the drama teacher teamed up with the
English teachers to refuse this proposal, insisting that script was in "movie format" and would
not work on stage. Which was somewhat true, but everyone knows it could have been edited
and the English teachers just really wanted us to write. I think most of the teachers didn't think
we would actually write it, but some kids sat down in front of their TV screens one night and
typed out all the dialogue of all the characters, and soon after that, some other kids sat down
and in between all the dialogue wrote all the actions the actors made as they spoke. Once the
whole movie had been typed out, some other kids took the typed-out-movie and formatted it
into "play format". The teachers then had no choice but to allow us to put on the play. I wasn't
shocked that the juniors and seniors were actually going through with it, or that they were so
excited about it, but I was surprised that Peter was going to audition. We walked into our class
and for the first time since I had met Peter, I wanted to talk to him. I wanted to ask him why he
was going to audition, since when did he act? I had so many questions, but now, I didn't want to
say them out loud. And it wasn't so much because I felt like I would be ruining something by
breaking the silence, but more that I wasn't quite sure how to format the questions. As we
walked into our homeroom and found play audition flyers on every desk, I picked one up and
looked it over. I glanced at Peter, then back at the paper, and decided that I wanted to audition
too. After all, what would I do if he got in? I knew I couldn't live a minute without him.
Maybe this could be interesting.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment