Monday, June 14, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 56

I dove for the phone when I slammed the front door of our house.
"Nice job getting the phone, idiot!" I called to Jake. "Yea, whatever!"
he screamed back. I rolled my eyes and pressed talk, "Hello?"
"Hi, this is Tammy. Is Angela there?" I was silent until she said, "Hello?"
"Uh, yea, this is her. Hi, Tammy."
"Oh, Angela, hey."
"Hey. What's up?" I sat down on one of the stools in the kitchen and held
the phone up to my ear, slightly shocked by this call. "Oh, not much. Uh, I
was just thinking...Junior Prom is coming up soon at your school, right?"
I blinked. I had forgotten about Junior Prom. "Oh. Um, yea, I guess it is."
"I thought I might come to the States for a week during my break and maybe
come to the dance, if you're cool with that." I gaped, and then she added, "Um,
yea, I was thinking maybe I could stay with you. I mean, if your parents are Ok
with it, of course, and if you want me to..." She drifted off and I felt myself
gaping at the nothingness in front of me. I closed my mouth, "Uh, yea, that
sounds awesome! I'm sure my parents will be fine with that!" I could hear
Tammy's smile as she replied, "Cool. So, I'll see you at the airport in a week I
guess, right? I'll call you with the details."
"Yea, course. Cool."
"Cool."
"Bye, I guess."
"Bye bye! See you soon!" Tammy hung up and I smiled in front of me. "Who was
that?" Jake asked as he came into the kitchen, opening the cupboard and pulling
out the oreos. He offered the package to me and I grabbed three before replying,
"Tammy. She's coming to stay with us next week."

"Wow. I completely forgot about Junior Prom."
"But you're going, right?" Sadie asked, and I recognized the usual sound of her
chewing gum as she held the receiver to her ear with her shoulder. "Are you
painting your nails?" I asked suddenly, ignoring her question. She paused before
replying, "Toe nails, technically. How'd you know?"
"Seems like you always chew gum and take long pauses between sentences when
you're painting your nails or doing your hair. You take pauses when you're watching
TV or typing, too, but you don't have gum in those scenarios." I picked up a couple
textbooks from my floor as I said this, setting them back on my desk. Sadie was
silent for a minute, and at first I thought she was just pausing to paint again, but then
she replied, "Wow," and I knew she had just paused in shock.
"Well, I mean, you call me a lot. And I go to your house a lot. So it's only natural that
I'd pick up on your habits." I could hear the smile in Sadie's voice as she replied,
"Yea, I guess so. Although,I can honestly say I have no idea what you're doing."
"I'm talking to you. Nothing else." Sadie was quiet for another moment, but I could
read her so easily, I knew she was pausing to smile, not to paint. Not wanting her to
think I meant something I didn't, I quickly added, "Well, I mean, I'm also sort of
cleaning my room." Sadie snapped out of it, "You? CLEAN? Puh-lease. How stupid
do you think I am?" I smiled. This was the Sadie I liked. Sadie my funny, easy-going,
breezy friend. Sadie my friend, only a friend.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment