Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Devyn part 8

The fourth movie was about halfway done when I found myself dozing off. On my left was Bubba, leaning forward towards the screen, totally engrossed in the movie. On my right was Devyn, leaning back against the couch, shaking his head at the horrible special effects. I opted on Devyn, who looked much more comfortable. I turned myself on the couch and leaned my shoulder on his, my head on his chest. He stiffened, clearly caught off guard, and I yawned. He chuckled and allowed me to make myself comfortable, all my weight on him. Bubba glanced at us and said, over the volume of the TV, "I don't know why you guys put it off so much. It's gonna happen sometime." I yawned and looked at him from the corner of my eye, "What is, Bub?"
"You guys. Someday you're gonna get together, and then you'll regret all the time you wasted apart." I felt myself stiffen on Devyn's lap. Devyn cleared his throat, and i tightened my already-closed eyes. "Well, Bub, I don't know about that, but either way, we're not wasting time apart." I smiled and opened my eyes. Devyn always knew what to say. "That's right, Bub. Devyn's my best friend. I doubt that'll change, but we're definitely not wasting time apart." Bubba looked at me, and something inside me twisted. I felt myself sweating and for some reason unbeknownst to me, I felt slightly guilty. "Alright, kids," Bubba said, taking a long chug of his fifth cup of coffee, "Whatever you say."
Devyn drove me home at about 3 am, after Bubba finally agreed that we had watched enough movies and permitted us to leave. "Geez, I'm exhausted," I groaned, leaning back into Devyn's seat. He laughed, "Visiting Bubba'll do that to you." He dropped me off at my apartment building and I made my way to the elevator drowsily. I pressed the button for my floor and stepped into the small confined space, being carried up to my home.
"Bubba."
"Geez, Justin, it's 10 in the morning! Why are you calling me?" Bubba groaned into the phone.
"Because I don't have any girl friends and I need your help."
"Ugh. Can it wait 'til twelve?"
"NO."
"FINE. What's up?"
"Erik called me." Bubba fell silent. For so long, in fact, that I thought he might have lost connection. "Bub?"
"Erik?"
"Yea."
"He called you."
"Yup."
"About work?"
"Nope."
"Not about work."
"Not about work.""
"What did he say?"
"He left a message."
"Saying?" I paused. Even I couldn't quite process it yet. "He said, 'Justin, I feel like an idiot-I don't know what I should say. I feel like a jerk...I miss you.' And then he hung up."
"You memorized it."
"Sorry."
"Yea." Bubba sighed, "Aw, geez, Justin, I don't know what to tell you. I can't believe that guy had the nerve to call."
"Maybe it was the wrong number."
"He said Justin."
"Oh. Right."
"I really don't know what you should do, kid. It's not like you can just forgive the guy and rekindle your love. He was a jerk, and once a jerk, always a jerk. He didn't just change. He messed up."
"Yea, I know, Bub. But what am I supposed to do? It's obvious I'm still in love with him, I can't just turn him down. And anyway, it's not like he asked to be with me again. It's seems like it should be obvious to everyone that we're a lost cause."
"Maybe he wasn't in his senses."
"Maybe..."
"I don't know, kid. Just go to work, see what happens. If he talks to you, tell me. And be careful."
"Alright. Thanks, Bub."
"See you later, kid." I hung up my phone and looked down at my outfit. I had pulled on the first comfortable clothes I had seen last night- a pair of sweats from Victoria's Secret. I shrugged and left my apartment, figuring if Erik couldn't approach me in sweats, he couldn't approach me at all.
"Call for you on line one. I think it's from upstairs," Debra said, not looking up from underneath her main of oily mouse-brown hair. "K. Thanks." I walked into my cubicle and picked up the phone, pressing the button for line 1, "This is Justin speaking?"
"Justin. It's Erik."
"Hello, Mr. Vincent. May I assist you in something?"
"Um, no. This isn't a business call." I gulped. This was harder than I thought. "I thought we were only allowed to take business calls during working hours, sir."
"Then you're on break. I need to talk to you, Justin."
"Erik-"
"Listen. I know I was a jerk. It was stupid and childish of me, and I'm sorry. But I just can't keep you in my office, working for me, if I have feelings harboring for you. Maybe if we were still together, if I knew you were mine, I wouldn't be so easily distracted. But it's not appropriate for the manager of a business place to stop working to stare at his ex-girlfriend downstairs." I blinked. Whoa. I did not see that one coming.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment