Sunday, February 7, 2010

Enclosed (to be continued?)

"Get away from me-" I hissed through gritted teeth. "Jamie. Stop. Why won't you just listen to me?" I turned quickly, glaring directly in Thomas's eyes, "You had your chance to explain, Thomas. Now it's over. There is nothing to explain. So just leave me alone." I shook off his arm and walked away, toward Pete's car. Pete smiled at me, "You want to come over to my place?" I rolled my eyes, "No, Pete. Just bring me home." Pete frowned, "You know what, Jamie? You're a real jerk. Why should I?" I sighed dramatically, "Look, Pete, I don't need this right now-"
"You're such a drama queen. You act like nothing ever affects you. You have this cover, like you want everyone to think that you're so tough, that no one can hurt you." He narrowed his eyes. "I'm not stupid, Jamie. I see right through you. You're hurting all the time. You can't use me just because you think I've fallen for you."
"Listen, Pete-"
"I'll see you around, Jamie." Pete got into his car and pulled out of the dark parking lot. "Great," I muttered. Thomas sped past me, his new girl laughing and horrible rap music blasting out of the windows. There was one person left in the school parking lot. I stared at Violet as she threw her bag into the back of her pick-up truck. Violet, the sister of my first boyfriend, and the ex of every guy after him. "Hey!" I called out, jogging over to her car. "Can I have a ride?" I asked as I caught my breath. Violet narrowed her eyes at me. "Where to?"
"Linkin."
"Park?"
"Yea." She rolled her eyes and pulled the driver's door open, sliding in and putting the key in the ignition, "Figures," she muttered under her breath. I watched her for another minute before she said, "Are you coming, or are you going to walk five blocks?"
"I'm coming," I replied quickly as I ran to the other side of her car and jumped into the passenger seat.
"You have got to be kidding me," I said as Violet pulled to a slow stop, her eyes wide as we stared at the flashing lights of the ambulance in front of us. She rolled down her window as a police officer came over to us, "Road closed. Sorry, ladies." Me eyebrows rose, "How am I supposed to get home?" I asked him. "Is there a way around?" Violet asked me with irritation in her voice. "I'm afraid not, ma'am," the officer answered for me. "You'll have to stay with someone tonight, ma'am, no entering this street." Violet closed her eyes and I cleared my throat, "Um, couldn't I just get out and walk to my house?" The officer shook his head, "No, it's not safe to cross through here. The accident hasn't been cleaned up yet." He nodded towards Violet, "Why don't you stay with your friend tonight?"
"I'm not her friend," Violet replied, glaring at the officer. He shrugged, "I'm afraid there's nothing I can do. You could always get a ride to a relative's house-"
"My nearest relatives are states away."
"Or you could stay at the station tonight." I closed my eyes. "Thank you," Violet replied as she drove backwards and turned around. "Do you know where any of your friends' houses are?" she asked. I fell silent for a moment before saying, "Um. I don't...I don't actually...have...um...friends." Violet's eyebrows rose. "Um. Ok." She sighed, pulling into her driveway, "Looks like you'll be staying here tonight."

© 2010

2 comments: