Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Enclosed part 6 (short story)

We sat on the couch huddled around the lap top as the movie ended and the credits came onto the screen, the most dramatic song from the movie playing again. Violet was passed out on Mitch's shoulder, her mouth open slightly as she breathed quietly in that sleep-breath way. I laughed. Mitch smiled, "This is what she's like at night," he said, "hyper-active for a while, but then she'll just pass out. Dead asleep." I laughed, "That's weird. Most people aren't hyper at night." She suddenly woke as Mitch stood up. "I'm hyper at night because when I wake up in the morning, I'm tired. Then through out the day, I wake up more and more, so by the time night rolls around, I'm wide awake!" She smiled, her eyes sleepy. "And she's up!" Mitch yelled in a baseball announcer voice. "Good morning sunshine," I said with a smile, closing the lap top. She rolled her eyes at us, "I've only been asleep for like fifteen minutes."
"Correction," Mitch said, grinning, "Fifty minutes." Violet opened her mouth. "Really?" she asked in disbelief. I nodded, "Yea, you fell asleep at around the middle of the movie."
"Huh," she replied. She shrugged and ran into the kitchen, opening the fridge and taking out the milk, sniffing it to make sure it hadn't spoiled, and putting it back in. "All the food in the fridge is going to be spoiled by tomorrow morning," Violet complained to Mitch. He stretched and replied, "Then I guess we're going shopping tomorrow." Violet rolled her eyes and turned to cupboard, pulling out a pack of oreos and ripping them open. She took and oreo and pulled it apart, licking off the frosting before eating the actual cookie part.
"Got any...fours?" I asked Mitch. He scanned his cards and Violet yawned, leaning her head on his shoulder. "Don't look at my cards!" he shrieked. She rolled her eyes and then closed them, "I can't see them," she said, yawning again. "Go fish," Mitch said to me. I sighed and pulled yet another card from the deck. Violet pulled up her hand and glanced at her watch. "9:30," she announced. "That's nice," Mitch and I repliec in unison. "Blargh! Mfenshneemillompleh," Violet yelled, jumping up from her chair. Mitch and I both stared at her with wide eyes. "Um...sorry. I didn't catch that," Mitch said, blinking at her. She sighed and rolled her eyes, "I sai-aid, blargh, mfenshnaymillompleh."
"Actually, I think it was mfenshneemillompleh," I corrected. She shook her head, "No. Definitely shnay."
"Shnee."
"Shnay."
"Shnee."
"Shnay!"
"Shnee!"
"SHNAY!"
"SHNEE!"
Mitch stood up, "You two are crazier than a couple of overweight koalas in a polka dot bar!" he yelled. Now it was his turn to get blinked at. "A polka dot bar?" I asked. Violet doubled over laughing, and Mitch sighed and took all the dirty dishes off the coffee table, bringing them into the kitchen and turning on the faucet. No water came out. "Dang power outage!" he yelled. He turned to us, "No flushing the toilet." He walked over to the stairs and up to his room. Violet turned to me. "Why did you go out with him again?" she asked me. I shrugged, "He was hot?"
"You were in ninth grade."
"You say that like that makes him any less hot."
"He was zit-man! And he had the weirdest hair!" I laughed, "His acne was a flaw, but I had acne too, and I thought his hair was one of his best qualities."
"One of his best physical qualities?" I laughed again, "Nope. One of his best overall qualities." Violet slapped her hand over her heart, "Now that," she started, "is deep."
"Isn't it, though?"

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment