Monday, February 8, 2010

Enclosed part 4 (short story)

After playing 'I've Never' for probably about an hour and a half, Violet stood up. She looked at her glow-in-the-dark watch and announced to us, "It is officially seven thirty on Friday the fourteenth." I laughed, "Friday the fourteenth. That sounds like a book. Or a song." Mitch and violet stared at me like there was vines growing out of my ears. "Maybe like...an emo song. My Chemical Romance? What do you think?" Mitch shook his head, and I thought he was just shaking it at me, but then he said, "No, more like Good Charlotte." Violet shrugged, "Personally, I think it sounds more like a country song." Now it was Violet's turn to be vines-out-of-ears girl. "What? Oh, come on, tell me you can't see Tim McGraw singing that one." She pretended to pull out a banjo and said, "Howdy, folks! I'll be playing a new ensemble for you today, I call it 'Friday the Fourteenth." She stared solemnly at the wall, tearing up her eyes, and said, "This one's fur you, Suey James." Mitch and I fell on the ground laughing as Violet belted out words about a cold friday evening in Louisiana and how she missed her Suey and her...Duey...the...duck, and how she wished she could enjoy Suey's meatloaf again and take little Duey on his final hunting trip. "You are a coock," I told Violet as I wiped tears from my eyes from laughing so hard. She smiled, "Why thank you."
"And that, my friend, sounded nothing like Tim McGraw." Mitch nodded, smiling slightly, "Yup. Definitely Good Charlotte." Violet cocked her head at us, "I didn't know Joel Madden was married to a Suey James." We burst out laughing again. "I want Ben and Jerry's," Mitch said, leaning back into his couch and putting his arms up around his head, intertwining his fingers. "That sounds good," Violet agreed, sitting on the arm of his couch and almost knocking over about three candles. "Its raining," I reminded them. "So?" they asked in unison. I laughed and shrugged, "Ok, sure. Let's go to Ben and Jerry's."
Mitch put his arm around his seat as he looked behind him, pulling out of their three-car garage. I sat in the backseat and Violet sat in the front, pressing the channel buttons over and over until she found a good station that worked. I looked out the window and stared at the trees as we sped down the road to town. Mitch pulled into an open parking spot a few stores down from Ben and Jerry's. I stepped out of the car with Violet and Mitch and, I swear, it was like one of those scenes in a teen movie-the one where the female protagonist gets out of her hot new boy's car as her mean girl ex-best friend and mean boy ex-boyfriend watched her, their mouths wide open. Except in this case, there was multiple mean boy ex-boyfriends and, obviously, Mitch was not my new boy. He was my old boy, and I knew he would never come back to me. Not that I would go back to him either...
"Whoa! Jamie!" Samantha called out, holding the 'ie'. I rolled my eyes and started heading towards Ben and Jerry's, Violet walking ahead of me. I expected Mitch to follow us, but I turned slightly to make sure and saw him still standing by his car, eyeing my ex-people. "Mitch!" I called out. I immediately regretted it. He turned around and looked at me. I wanted to close my eyes, but I knew it would only intensify the awkwardness of the moment. I stared at him with pleading eyes, and he walked toward me. He put a ball cap on as he walked toward me, and, to my surprise, swung his arm around my shoulders. "What are you-" I started, but he cut me off, "Just go with it," he hissed. As we walked into the little ice cream shop, I turned to him. "What was that?"
"Your friends."
"They're not my friends. And even if they were, why did you do that?" He shrugged. I imagined him running his hand through his hair at that moment, but instead he reached up and pulled his baseball cap down slightly further. "I don't know. I just...I don't know." A smile played with the corner of my mouth so I quickly stepped up to the counter and ordered Phish Food. "Ooh!" Violet said, coming up to the counter again, "Change my order! I want that too!" I laughed and walked over to the pick-up side of the counter with Violet as Mitch ordered.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment