Monday, February 22, 2010

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts part 49

It was four o'clock, and the sky was dark and ominous. That's one of those things that people say and think that they are being creative and totally original, when really they're about the five millionth person to say this. The rain poured outside and I sat with my chin on the windowsill, feeling like one of the little kids in The Cat in the Hat. Sadie called earlier and asked if I wanted to do something, and I told her that I would prefer to stay home and have a rain day, just get used to my new house.
So there I sat.
I sighed and closed the curtains, walking into the living room and sitting next to Milly on the couch. She was eating cheddar popcorn and watching "A Thousand Ways to Die". "I hate this show," I announced to her. "Thanks for the input," she replied, crunching down on another piece of popcorn. I was quiet for another minute as a man was shown riding down the road on top of a mattress. "Can we change the channel?"
"No."
"Why not?
"There's nothing else on." I sighed and got up, walking back into the kitchen and wishing I hadn't turned down Sadie. There was absolutely nothing to do. Nothing. I opened the fridge and pulled out an apple. Then I put it back. I hate apples. I closed the fridge and walked over to the cupboard, opening it and searching for barbecue chips. We didn't have any. I sighed and walked out of the kitchen and back into my room. The house was small, and even with people over there wasn't much to do. By myself, I was bored out of my flipping mind. I sat down and tried to study for Chemistry, but I couldn't concentrate. I tried to read a novel, but it was a total chick book and bored me even more than I had been before I had opened it. I went on the computer and tried to find something funny to watch on the internet, but all I could find was stupid kids making videos of themselves in their rooms while avoiding doing their homework or music videos for singers who never made it to Hollywood. I sighed and turned my computer off again. "THERE'S NOTHING TO DO!" I moaned. "SHUT UP!" Milly yelled back. "I'M HOME!" a familiar voice yelled as the front door slammed open loudly, "WHO MISSED ME?!" Milly and I were both silent for a moment, (in utter shock,) before yelling in unison, "JANE!" I ran out of my room and we tackled her. Jane laughed and pulled her suitcase next to her. Jane was a senior in college and had probably visited about seven times all together since sophomore year, three Christmases, two Thanksgivings, and a couple of special occasions. (One of them being my first dance at a new school. I'll never understand girls.) "What are you doing here?" I asked, taking her suticase and rolling it toward the guest room. "Is mom here?" she asked, ignoring me question. It was weird how she came into the house acting like it was the one she had grown up in and then immediately asked to see mom as if she had been the person she grew up with. Well, ok, obviously she had more time with mom and dad than Milly or I did, but still. "She's at the grocery store, but she'll be home soon," Milly said, smiling brightly for the first time since we moved here. "Oh, good," Jane said, also smiling widely. "There's someone I want her to meet." She smiled at Milly and I, "And I want you guys to meet him, too!" Uh-oh. Him. Bad news. I waited for a man with a mohawk, five facial piercings, and a half dozen tattoos per arm to walk in, or maybe a cheating football jock like the last guy she had dated. But instead walked in a decent looking guy in a leather jacket, jeans, and Etnies. He smiled at us, "How all you guys doing?" he asked. Milly blushed and I narrowed my eyes. Was this nice guy thing an act? Luckily, he was only about a half inch taller than me, so I was able to step up next to him and give him a look that said the classic, "hurt her and you're dead meat". He nodded at me as if to say he got the message. I expected him to sling his arm around my sister's waist and pull her close to him, maybe even kissing her shoulder. But instead he said, "Great to meet you all. Is there only one bed in the guest room?" I nodded, my eyes still narrow. He nodded too, "Ok, then. I'll sleep on the couch." He smiled genuinely at Milly and I and then took Jane's bag from me, swinging it over his shoulder, (even though it had wheels,) and carrying it to the guest room. He came back out a few seconds later and said, "My name is Robert. You can call me Rob, for short, if you prefer, but not Bob." He frowned, "I hate the name Bob." Milly laughed, "Ok, Robert. Nice to meet you." He smiled, "And you must be Milly?" She nodded and stuck out her hand, which he shook, grinning. Then he turned to me, "And you're Tyler." I nodded. He stuck out his hand and I shook it firmly. "Nice to meet you, Tyler. I promise I'll take good care of your big sister." He smiled genuinely and I thought he looked trustworthy. But you never knew. "Ima go use the loo, if you don't mind," he said, grinning. He walked off toward the bathroom and Milly and I immediately turned to face Jane. "He seems nice," Milly said. "Who is he?" I asked. Jane laughed, "He's Robert. My fiance."
Jeez, a little warning would have been nice.

© 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment