Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Broken Glass, Broken Hearts (short story) part 5

English was very, very awkward. All the 'popular' girls were talking nonstop about Tyler and I as if we weren't sitting right next to them. "Great, a new guy comes to the school and she immediately takes him. She already has all the guys at this school at her feet, why does she need to take him too?" Selena said. I blushed a very bright red. "Well, they are a cute couple. They both have black hair, and their eye colors go well together...and she's a good height for him."
"Well at least she's taken now. That means the other guys at this school are available..."
"But none of them are as good looking as him."
"True..."
Seriously, you'd think they would whisper or something. It was like they wanted me to hear them. I leaned over to them and whispered, "I'm NOT going out with Tyler. We just met the other day down by Pike's creek." Jayd leaned out of her seat toward me and said, "I heard you saved him from drowning and then gave him CPR! Is that true?" I rolled my eyes, "Some of it is true." Selena looked at me with a suspicious expression, "The CPR part or the rescuing part?" 
"Puh-lease! The rescuing part."
"Wow, Angela, you're so brave!" Jayd said. "Girls! Please stop talking," Mr. Yarber said. "Sorry Mr. Yarber," Selena said. I leaned against my chair and looked up at the clock. The last thing I cared about right now was Shakespeare. 

"Hey, man! You've been here, what, two minutes and you've already got every girl at the school fallin' ALL OVER YOU! Nice!" someone said to me. I grinned, "I don't know what's up with that. Probably just 'cause I'm new, you know." The guy stuck out his hand to me, "The name's Ed. Ed Drawe." I held back a laugh, "Short for?"
"Edwin."
"Cool. Nice to meet you, Edwin."
"Hey, man, you play any sports? You should try out for the basketball team."
"Nah, its not really my thing. I prefer water stuff, like you know, water polo."
"Seriously?"
"Yea," I said. He shrugged, "That's cool I guess. But we'll sure be bummed not to have you on the team. Tall guy like you would really help us out, 'specially right now. We've been, like, losing EVERY game! It sucks, man!"
"I bet," I replied simply. Mr. Yarber cleared his throat and I turned back to the board.  

After school, Tyler walked to the bus stop with me. "So, how was your first day of school?" I asked. "Overwhelming!" he replied. "Man, I think I've been asked to join every sport that exists! I CANNOT believe the sport department at this school! I mean, seriously, you have rugby! And cricket! I have never once been to a school that has cricket!" I laughed, "Yea. We're a pretty sporty school." He laughed, "Seriously."

© 2009

2 comments:

  1. ya water polo!!! :)
    -lolo

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha lol nice lolo y am i not surprised that u said that

    ReplyDelete